[SOLVED] Do Hynix m-die RAM modules from the ASUS TUF X-570-plus actually play nice together?

bujinkanrn

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I've heard that that Hynix modules don't play nicely with Ryzen CPUs/mobos. Is this a myth? I've seen a large number of Hynix modules on the QVL for the board I mentioned, yet I'm reading of people having failures with said kits and recommending Samsung b-die modules.

Solution
Would buying Hynix 3600 MHz RAM make it easier to get to 3200 MHz, which is what I understand the 3900X to support?

My goal isn't to OC, but I do want to get to CPU and mobo supported speeds. Am I likely to run into a problem with Hynix even if RAM is on the QVL of the motherboard?
Buying a Kit of 3600MHz RAM does not make it any easier to achieve 3200MHz. Both are OC RAM and will require Bios intervention for Timings and Voltage. You would pay more for 3600MHz RAM for being binned higher and there's no guarantee you would achieve 3600MHz. It will depend on the strength of the IMC (Integrated memory controller) on the CPU which will ultimately determine what frequency you will achieve.

With OC RAM you should select a kit...
I've heard that that Hynix modules don't play nicely with Ryzen CPUs/mobos. Is this a myth? I've seen a large number of Hynix modules on the QVL for the board I mentioned, yet I'm reading of people having failures with said kits and recommending Samsung b-die modules.

Yes it's a myth however Ryzen seems to prefer RAM with B-die chips and fast frequencies to 3200MHz OC
Hynix are generally cheaper chips whereas Samsung chips are superior so cost more.

The MB QVL listings are tested kit combinations and known to work with the motherboard.
Samsung B-die RAM come with lower Cas Latency and tighter timings.

Reactions: bujinkanrn

bujinkanrn

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Yes it's a myth however Ryzen seems to prefer RAM with B-die chips and fast frequencies to 3200MHz OC
Hynix are generally cheaper chips whereas Samsung chips are superior so cost more.

The MB QVL listings are tested kit combinations and known to work with the motherboard.
Samsung B-die RAM come with lower Cas Latency and tighter timings.
Would buying Hynix 3600 MHz RAM make it easier to get to 3200 MHz, which is what I understand the 3900X to support?

My goal isn't to OC, but I do want to get to CPU and mobo supported speeds. Am I likely to run into a problem with Hynix even if RAM is on the QVL of the motherboard?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen
Here you have directly from AMD, Ryzen-compatible RAM references with the IC composition you can find on these sticks.
So, judge by yourself: the major IC manufacturer are all represented.
You can sort by DIMM brand or IC types etc..

Reactions: bujinkanrn

bujinkanrn

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen
Here you have directly from AMD, Ryzen-compatible RAM references with the IC composition you can find on these sticks.
So, judge by yourself: the major IC manufacturer are all represented.
You can sort by DIMM brand or IC types etc..
Wow! Thanks for the link! I'm admittedly not intricately familiar w/ RAM beyond basics. Just wanting to be as snag-free as possible while getting full stock speeds. Thanks again!

Buying a Kit of 3600MHz RAM does not make it any easier to achieve 3200MHz. Both are OC RAM and will require Bios intervention for Timings and Voltage. You would pay more for 3600MHz RAM for being binned higher and there's no guarantee you would achieve 3600MHz. It will depend on the strength of the IMC (Integrated memory controller) on the CPU which will ultimately determine what frequency you will achieve.

With OC RAM you should select a kit that are tested in conjunction with the MB and be prepared to Overclock them manually in Bios to achieve their rated frequency. They will not be Plug and Play as many hope for.

During the POST (Power on self test) your RAM will be interrogated and a safe set of values to make them work are assigned. Unless you have enabled a profile to match such as XMP or DOCP the system will default to lower than the rated frequency of what they are capable of.

Here is your Motherboard QVL and it is from this you should choose your Kit:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...or_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors_X570_0722.pdf

Of the kits I have tried I have found best results with G.Skill at 3200MHz with CL14.
This seems the sweet spot for Ryzen as many others will agree.
There is no difference in performance using a 3600MHz kit with looser timings say 16-19-19-39 and a 3200MHz kit with tighter timings say 14-14-14-34

Last edited:
Solution

bujinkanrn

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

With OC RAM you should select a kit that are tested in conjunction with the MB and be prepared to Overclock them manually in Bios to achieve their rated frequency. They will not be Plug and Play as many hope for.

During the POST (Power on self test) your RAM will be interrogated and a safe set of values to make them work are assigned. Unless you have enabled a profile to match such as XMP or DOCP the system will default to lower than the rated frequency of what they are capable of.

Here is your Motherboard QVL and it is from this you should choose your Kit:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...or_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors_X570_0722.pdf

Of the kits I have tried I have found best results with G.Skill at 3200MHz with CL14.
This seems the sweet spot for Ryzen as many others will agree.
There is no difference in performance using a 3600MHz kit with looser timings say 16-19-19-39 and a 3200MHz kit with tighter timings say 14-14-14-34
This is a very well-presented bit of info that clarifies a lot for me. Thank you very much!