do I add 1x8gb or 2x4gb to 2x4gb for 16gb's

Coedgy

Prominent
May 26, 2017
Hi. I have already bought 2x4gb ram sticks when I last built my pc. Now i want to upgrade it to 16gigs. I have 4 card slots, two are in use, so do I buy 2x4 or 1x8gb of the SAME ram?

Solution
2x 8GB would be the best option.

2x4GB + 2x4GB also should work (with a minor performance penalty).
But, if all modules are not from the same kit, this can potentially lead to some compatibility issues and may require manual tweaking of ram parameters in BIOS. In some rare situations this might not work at all.
2x 8GB would be the best option.

2x4GB + 2x4GB also should work (with a minor performance penalty).
But, if all modules are not from the same kit, this can potentially lead to some compatibility issues and may require manual tweaking of ram parameters in BIOS. In some rare situations this might not work at all.

Solution

Coedgy

Prominent
May 26, 2017

I already have 2x4gb, so its okay to do that again so I get 16gigs? They are COMPLETLY SAME ram, the old and the new. Same mhz and everything

If all modules are not from the same kit, this means they are not tested and are not guarantied to work together.

Basically - you can know, if they work together, only after you test it.
They should work though. With same manufacturer/model modules chances are pretty high.

Memory manufacturers guarantee memory in the form it is sold. While using memory with identical part numbers may have a better chance of working together than random memory modules, there is no guarantee they will be compatible together.

Workarounds for getting extra memory to work include:
Lower memory frequency
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage
Lower CPU multiplier