Question Do I get SSD and HDD for gaming?

HerEyeSin

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
View: https://imgur.com/a/Kd3SV0t

I know absolutely nothing about PC. and reading up on storage this paragraph is basically what everything I read tells me I should do, unless money isn’t an issue and I get a large SSD. My question is: do I download games on my SSD and then have all my saves from games on HDD? Or is it telling me I should put things like photos in HDD and things like games and saved data from games on my SSD?Sorry for the dumb question. It’s just hard to make sense of these things without having used them or even get how they truly work

It's saying to keep anything that needs real-time upgrading goes on your SSD. This includes programs like Photoshop and games.

What new with movies and documents? Do they need to be updated? Nope, They are complete and thus go to the platter based HDD.

You're streaming to Twitch and need to know which drive to purchase. Because you want to access and deliver your game's data as quickly as possible the SSD is once again the drive to use.

You have 10,000+ photo library? HDD.

Need to batch edit 10,000 photos? SSD

Keep it simple and keep your saves with the game's drive.

Do you need Superfetch with an SSD? Disable it in Services to find out if performance is affected.

HerEyeSin

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Your OS, all programs, and most played games would go on the SSD (with all saves and such as well).
Bulk storage, photos, videos, massive games that are 100GB+ (or whatever you cant fit on the SSD) etc go on the HDD.
Thanks for the help. And last question: when saving these things it will ask where I want to save right? And it’ll be like save on HDD or ssd

HerEyeSin

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
It's saying to keep anything that needs real-time upgrading goes on your SSD. This includes programs like Photoshop and games.

What new with movies and documents? Do they need to be updated? Nope, They are complete and thus go to the platter based HDD.

You're streaming to Twitch and need to know which drive to purchase. Because you want to access and deliver your game's data as quickly as possible the SSD is once again the drive to use.

You have 10,000+ photo library? HDD.

Need to batch edit 10,000 photos? SSD

Keep it simple and keep your saves with the game's drive.

Do you need Superfetch with an SSD? Disable it in Services to find out if performance is affected.
Thanks this also helped 🙏

HerEyeSin

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Yeah, for the most part it will either ask, or you can change the default.
My steam defaults to my HDD, but i can change it each time I download a game.
Programs also ask where you want to install them (defaults to os drive)
[/QUO
Yeah, for the most part it will either ask, or you can change the default.
My steam defaults to my HDD, but i can change it each time I download a game.
Programs also ask where you want to install them (defaults to os drive)
🙏

TRENDING THREADS