[SOLVED] Do I have a “Bad”/cheap power supply?

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
So I am still learning about gaming PC’s in general but I’m trying to get help figuring out if my current power supply unit is a cheap model or not -
It is a ARESGAME 750W Power Supply Semi Modular 80+ Bronze PSU (AGV750).
I’ve had multiple people tell me now that it is a “bad” PSU and I’m trying to see if that is the case and if it is, then what one I should look at purchasing for my specific build.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Specifications:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core @ 3.70GHz

Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX Vega 56(8GB) - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-56.c2993

Memory - OLOy RAM 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz CL16

Storage - #1) 2TB - Hitachi HUS724020ALA640 HDD

#2) Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB

#3) PNY CS900 500GB SATA SSD

Power Supply - ARESGAME 750W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze (AGV750)

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Motherboard - ASRock B450 Pro4

CPU Cooling System - ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

Fans - x6 GIM KB-28 RGB Case Fans 120mm

Case - Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Case w/ Tempered Glass

Solution
Hi
There is no single universal rule for selecting a high-quality power supply various indicators provide circumstantial evidence of PSU quality
First, always buy a power supply from a reputable manufacturer, and look for reviews of it before you buy. Avoid cheap, generic power supplies, which tend to be substandard. Look for reputable brands that offer solid warranties and support. Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, and Antec are manufacturers with reputations for producing high-quality power supplies, though even they may offer a few duds among all the studs. Many modern gaming systems with a 6 or 8-core CPU and a midrange to high-end graphics card should get by with a 650W to 850W power supply, with 750W being a long-time sweet spot for...

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi
There is no single universal rule for selecting a high-quality power supply various indicators provide circumstantial evidence of PSU quality
First, always buy a power supply from a reputable manufacturer, and look for reviews of it before you buy. Avoid cheap, generic power supplies, which tend to be substandard. Look for reputable brands that offer solid warranties and support. Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, and Antec are manufacturers with reputations for producing high-quality power supplies, though even they may offer a few duds among all the studs. Many modern gaming systems with a 6 or 8-core CPU and a midrange to high-end graphics card should get by with a 650W to 850W power supply, with 750W being a long-time sweet spot for gamers. More powerful hardware requires higher wattages

I would suggest you should go for
Seasonic Focus Plus SSR-750FX
or
EVGA Supernova 750 P2

Or if you are budget tight then Cooler Master MWE 850w Gold Fully modular

Solution
If you look at the specs on the side of your PSU, you will see it only has 56A on a single +12V rail equating to 672W. Whereas, the Seasonic mentioned above has 62A for 744W on a single +12V rail. That's not the only thing that makes it a bad PSU though, inferior capacitors and other components can make for unstable or unclean power being delivered to your other components. The RX Vega 56/64 GPUs are known for having extremely high power spikes. Investing in a good PSU isn't a bad idea. They will last longer while delivering cleaner power to your system.

Reactions: DirtySZN

TRENDING THREADS