[SOLVED] Do I have a bad card?

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
I'm nearly sure I have a bad card, but I'm such a networking noob that I want to run it past an expert before I send the card back.

I have an Asus Maximus VIII hero with an intel onboard ethernet (port 1). I'm running Windows 10 x64 home.
I installed a ubit dual ethernet card. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KGP342F that appears as a Realtek PCIe GBe family controller (ports 2 and 4). Windows update delivered a driver v9.xxx that is dated 2015. And I tried everything using that driver. When nothing worked, I switched to a driver version 10.xxx dated 2020 that I found here.

I have two cables

On the other end, I have a motorola MB7621 cable modem, and an Arris BGW210 DSL modem/router.

I also have a second PC with it's own cable - usually connected to the DSL router.

Now. I can connect either the cable or the DSL modem to port 1 and make it work. So I know both modems and both cables are good. But when I connect either to Ports 2 or 4, neither connection will have internet access. I get various error messages like "The default gateway is not responding", "Port X doesn't have a valid IP configuration" (and nothing seems to fix it), and even an occasional "The cable is either unplugged, or broken".

But I know both cables are fine because they both work in port 1.
I know the modems are fine because they both give me internet access in port 1 and on my other PC.

I connected a modem to port 1 and made sure the internet was working right. Then I wrote down the configuration. I switched to port 2 or 4 and manually configured it exactly as it was in port 1 - but still no internet in either port.
I reseated connectors maybe a dozen times. So that's not it.
I even printed out and followed these instructions to the letter, and still no valid configuration on ports 2 or 4. Then I switched to the V10 driver and did everything all over again. Still the same problems.

I think I narrowed it down to the card. But I'm no expert. Is there anything I could have missed?

Solution
Yep, I remember all that ipv6 crap too. Even today it's still not relevant, haha.

The best guide I have ever seen on the comparison of a fake and real card was on servethehome:
Jul 31, 2020
You seem to have done a thorough job, and it does look like the Ethernet card may be the problem. One more test you could consider is an Ethernet tester. I did a search on "ethernet port tester" and several entries turned up. If you have a Staples that is close, its tester is affordable and received good reviews. However, never go into something new w/o researching it first: Be sure you understand what an Ethernet tester can and cannot do for you before purchasing one.

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
I would boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if you have the same issues there. If so, definitely the card--which was more than likely a fake since you got it via amazon.
Amazon is more than happy to RMA the card. They're shipping a new card before I send them the old one. So it's kinda odd that they would sell fakes, considering their liberal return policy. If the replacement card behaves the same way, then I will just get my money back and buy something else.

I would expect a fake card from something like wish or alibaba. Rarely from Amazon.

And oh, by the way. How would you guys rate those instructions for clearing a "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" error. I'm no expert, so I don't know how dangerous it is. But it sure helped me keep my one working port... um.... working.

And now that I'm done Tshooting, I've restored fast boot, IPv6, and the MS Kernel debug network adapter via the same instructions.

Amazon is more than happy to RMA the card. They're shipping a new card before I send them the old one. So it's kinda odd that they would sell fakes, considering their liberal return policy. If the replacement card behaves the same way, then I will just get my money back and buy something else.

I would expect a fake card from something like wish or alibaba. Rarely from Amazon.

And oh, by the way. How would you guys rate those instructions for clearing a "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" error. I'm no expert, so I don't know how dangerous it is. But it sure helped me keep my one working port... um.... working.

And now that I'm done Tshooting, I've restored fast boot, IPv6, and the MS Kernel debug network adapter via the same instructions.
Any 'marketplace' site is prone to have a problem with fakes since anybody from anywhere can just sign up and sell. Amazon even helped this a step further by co-mingling inventories, so that's why half the sdcard deals on there are fake cards. The business model works for the bottom line and that's all that matters--ethics or logic be dammed. Hence why other companies have introduced 'marketplace' sites as well. Unless the marketplace site has a retail location that you can walk into and yell at someone about a fake, the site will generally have fakes on it ime.

The instructions on that site are decent enough although the site is shady since it didn't allow me to customize the cookies.

And unless you have a specific use case for things like ipv6, I would just leave them off. These things cause problems hence why they were turned off in the first place. They really only need to be enabled if you're needing them, which most people don't.

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
I'm certainly no expert. But I do remember them raving about IPv6 years ago - and nothing ever coming of it. I remember the, "get it now before they shut IPv4 off completely" fearmongering way back when.
Well, it's not causing any problems on a functional port. Emphasis on 'functional'.

Meanwhile, any way to tell the difference between a 'real' and a fake? I've poured over every detail about that card and noticed nothing outstanding. Aaand then again, I'm no expert. The only outstanding detail is the off brand seller. And they're pretty upfront about that.

Yep, I remember all that ipv6 crap too. Even today it's still not relevant, haha.

The best guide I have ever seen on the comparison of a fake and real card was on servethehome:

Solution

TRENDING THREADS