Question Do I have a bent pin in my new Ryzen 3600? (picture inside)

Jan 12, 2020
I just got my Ryzen 3600 yesterday, and am planning to build my new PC in the coming days.

When I opened the CPU, I saw that the light reflected slightly differently in one part, see the picture bellow. Taking a picture on my smartphone with 4x zoom, I can see the the pin is slightly bent.
I'm worried that that will either a. impact performance, or b. make the computer not work at all.

Should I build the PC and see if it works , or should I try and return the CPU for a new one?

Any help is greatly appriciated.
20200112-105726.jpg

http://prntscr.com/qmjv96

I just got my Ryzen 3600 yesterday, and am planning to build my new PC in the coming days.

When I opened the CPU, I saw that the light reflected slightly differently in one part, see the picture bellow. Taking a picture on my smartphone with 4x zoom, I can see the the pin is slightly bent.
I'm worried that that will either a. impact performance, or b. make the computer not work at all.

Should I build the PC and see if it works , or should I try and return the CPU for a new one?

Any help is greatly appriciated.
20200112-105726.jpg

http://prntscr.com/qmjv96
Yes

Reactions: Jason H.
That is a bent pin. It might just be the photo but it’s weird that it looks longer than the rest too which it shouldn’t. That won’t go into the socket and trying to install it will likely make things worse. At this point you want to exchange it, trying to straighten will void the warranty and it could snap off completely.

Like theres no question that thats definately a bent pin lol......

But, could he maybe bend it back? hmmm

TO THE OP: If you just bought the cpu, send it back immediately and get it replaced. your pin is super bent lol. But if this is a new issue, I would try bending it back, just because I would have nothing to lose lol.

IN FACT, the pin to the left of it is bent as well.

Like I said send it back if you just got it. but if its a new issue and your out of warranty, they dont look bent "enough" to where if u bent them back that they would break due to tension. I mean it dont work already, so trying to bend it back wont hurt it if its already bad.

Jan 12, 2020
For context, I live in Denmark where all shops are legally obligated to replace faulty goods, so I'm 100% certain they will take it back if I ask them.

So the best course of action is to NOT try to build the PC at this time, as it may damage the motherboard or CPU further?

For context, I live in Denmark where all shops are legally obligated to replace faulty goods, so I'm 100% certain they will take it back if I ask them.

So the best course of action is to NOT try to build the PC at this time, as it may damage the motherboard or CPU further?

the cpu wont even go into the cpu port with a bent pin, so yea if you have a guarenteed return policy, return it and get a new one.

That one's only slightly bent and right on the edge row. A terrific candidate for straightening... I'd just bend it back using the .5mm pencil trick.

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Bent-Pins-on-a-CPU#Realigning_Pins_with_a_Mechanical_Pencil_sub

If things go south (very unlikely) you got the RMA started and can proceed with it...but that's a fall-back that's highly unlikely to be needed.

The appearance of being longer is just an optical illusion from light and shadow.

Jan 12, 2020
Disagree in his particular case, he just opened the package and can easily get a replacement, not worth trying. if he breaks the pin off he may risk that chance of replacement.
In either case, I already sent it back.
I don't think I'd be comfortable trying to bend it back, when I'm working with that fine details.

All of you guys' help has been greatly appriciated ^^

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Yea replace it if you have warranty. My 1800X had many bent pins, bought from ebay as-is. I fixed it with a razor, it was pretty easy and did not need magnifying glasses. Its still working after a year.

CPUs are much easier to fix than Intel motherboards, that's one reason why I like AMD more. Motherboard pins have to be bent in a precise shape and pressure which is impossible to fix. I damaged my 4770K motherboard pins and I ended up throwing it in the garbage.