[SOLVED] do i have a broken motherboard?

Sep 27, 2019
so pretty much, i started a pc build and bought all the components i needed. i put the computer together and turned it on, and it was working but nothing would show up on the screen. i asked my friend who knows more about computers and stuff to come over the next day to help me, but when the next day came, the pc would turn on for literally one second, then turn off, then 3 seconds later would turn back on, then off. then it will continue the cycle forever until i power off the computer. i’ve tried everything, and i am currently saving up for a new motherboard, since that’s what i’m thinking it has to be. any help would be appreciated.

specs:

motherboard - asus p8h61-m lx plus r2.0
gpu - gtx 780ti
ram - 2x8gb sticks
cpu - intel xeon e3-1240v2, 3.40ghz
power supply - thermaltake tr2 600watt

Solution
E3 1240v2 is not on the list of supported CPUs for that motherboard. What other CPUs have you tried? Keep in mind, trying just ONE CPU that isn't supported, could TECHNICALLY result in a ruined motherboard. Technically. It could also result in........nothing at all.
Get a different power supply. Your TR2 is PROBABLY the problem, and is literally one of, if not THE, worst power supplies ever sold by a major well known name brand, bar none.

I know about that unit. It's what brought me here many years ago.

Sep 27, 2019
Get a different power supply. Your TR2 is PROBABLY the problem, and is literally one of, if not THE, worst power supplies ever sold by a major well known name brand, bar none.

I know about that unit. It's what brought me here many years ago.

thanks for the fast reply, i’m just worried if i buy a new psu and the motherboard turned out to the be the problem, then i just wasted money that i don’t have(i’m a high school student with no job) when i built the pc, i was dumb and put the motherboard all over the case and also built it while sitting on a bed, and put the motherboard on blankets and stuff. my friend told me it’s most likely the motherboard, i’m just very confused. i don’t have any other psu’s that i could test either.

USAFRet

Titan
thanks for the fast reply, i’m just worried if i buy a new psu and the motherboard turned out to the be the problem, then i just wasted money that i don’t have(i’m a high school student with no job) when i built the pc, i was dumb and put the motherboard all over the case and also built it while sitting on a bed, and put the motherboard on blankets and stuff. my friend told me it’s most likely the motherboard, i’m just very confused. i don’t have any other psu’s that i could test either.
In any case, you need a better PSU.
If this one is not the specific issue right now, it will be very, very soon.

Sep 27, 2019
take out your ram and put 1 stick in the slot and see if it will boot if not

remove the graphics card

and plug into the onboard graphics

if this boots it will be the power supply as the most likely culprit

( also agree with darkbreeze its a junk psu with duel rail 12v
okay so right now i have 1 ram stick in, the cpu, the 24 pin connector from the psu, and the cpu cord from the psu plugged in. i also have a vga plugged into the motherboard into a monitor. how exactly would i plug into the on-board graphics?

just tried running it with what you said and it does the same on and off cycle.

if you have the vga connector plugged into the motherboard( important make sure the graphics card 780ti is out of the board.

try taking out the coin battery out of the motherboard and then put it back in this will reset the bios then try starting it up

psu suggstions. evga and corsair and seasonic are good brands 80 plus bronze or higher 600w or 650w

Sep 27, 2019
if you have the vga connector plugged into the motherboard( important make sure the graphics card 780ti is out of the board.

try taking out the coin battery out of the motherboard and then put it back in this will reset the bios then try starting it up

psu suggstions. evga and corsair and seasonic are good brands 80 plus bronze or higher 600w or 650w
i’ve actually tried taking the battery out of the motherboard, and resetting the cmos. i left the coin out all night with the jumper on the designated pins to do a deep reset. but no luck, still does the same on and off cycle. thanks for the recommendations! and yes, the gpu is out of the board

ok going to tackle this a diffrent route and this would be my all fails option use paper washers on the motherboard like the ones below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DealMux-10...shers+paper+motherboard&qid=1571788775&sr=8-2

assuming this isnt a power supply issue as it could be the motherboard is being shorted out by the screws holding the motherboard to the case install these with the screws ( this worked once for me on cheaper boards).

Sep 27, 2019
ok going to tackle this a diffrent route and this would be my all fails option use paper washers on the motherboard like the ones below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DealMux-10...shers+paper+motherboard&qid=1571788775&sr=8-2

assuming this isnt a power supply issue as it could be the motherboard is being shorted out by the screws holding the motherboard to the case install these with the screws ( this worked once for me on cheaper boards).
i probbaly should of mentioned this before, but the motherboard is currently out of the case, on a wooden desk.

my only conclusion then is a bad power supply or a bad board i would recomend msi as ive had less trouble with those boards

msi
asus
asrock is a hit and miss some good some bad
gigabyte ( avoid like plague)

also have just did some digging into the cpu support that model isnt offically supported by that board so that may be the actual issue

especially if the bios isnt updated to the latest filmware

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LX_PLUS_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/

Sep 27, 2019
my only conclusion then is a bad power supply or a bad board i would recomend msi as ive had less trouble with those boards

msi
asus

also have just did some digging into the cpu support that model isnt offically supported by that board so that may be the actual issue

there’s just so many things it could be 😂i have no other parts i can use to test out each problem either. my friend is the one who gave me the cpu and psu, and he’s the one who told me to buy that board for it, i’ll talk to him and see what he has to say and see if he has any parts i can use, thanks for the help man!

Sep 27, 2019

msi
asus

by the way, i’ve tried 3 different cpu’s with the board and the same on off cycle happened with every cpu

thanks for the help man, i’ll definitely get a better psu, do you have any good brands you can recommend me?

E3 1240v2 is not on the list of supported CPUs for that motherboard. What other CPUs have you tried? Keep in mind, trying just ONE CPU that isn't supported, could TECHNICALLY result in a ruined motherboard. Technically. It could also result in........nothing at all.

Solution