Question Do I have a dead GPU?

user1765

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
So basically I recently bought a used GTX 760 SC for something like 20 bucks, I know the implications of buying used cards and suspected it wouldn't function. I have an interesting situtation with it, upon installing it, my pc POSTs and boots and the graphics card spins up. I get video signal for a few seconds and I can see the login screen on my monitor, then I lose video signal and the fans jump to 100% speed. Do I have a dead card or is it something else? My pc boots fine on my old card so its either power supply issues or the card itself
(if it's a dead card, again it was only 20 bucks)

Mobo: Asus m5a97 r2.0
PSU: CM 450 bronze (I know the card technically needs a more powerful psu but I've read the people use it like this fine)
RAM: 8 gb DDR3
cpu: fx 4300 (I know it probably will bottleneck and im looking to upgrade)
Im running windows 10 and booting off a 860 Evo

user1765

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
What could be causing the fans to jump to 100%? I was thinking someone might have removed the heatsink without properly replacing the compound. Would this cause it to over heat and the fans to kick in?

I was planning on replacing the thermal compound either way.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
It's probably easiest to test that card in another PC if you can before you tear it apart. If it works in another PC (preferably something current), then the issue would lie in your system.

If it's the PC causing the problem, it could be, but not limited to:
  • motherboard BIOS
  • inadequate power
  • incompatible windows driver

As far as I know the GTX 760 has power connectors on the top of the card. Probably an 8 and a 6 pin. Have you connected any of these, and which ones? I believe you have to use one 8 pin, or two six pin power cables.

user1765

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
It's probably easiest to test that card in another PC if you can before you tear it apart. If it works in another PC (preferably something current), then the issue would lie in your system.

If it's the PC causing the problem, it could be, but not limited to:
  • motherboard BIOS
  • inadequate power
  • incompatible windows driver

As far as I know the GTX 760 has power connectors on the top of the card. Probably an 8 and a 6 pin. Have you connected any of these, and which ones? I believe you have to use one 8 pin, or two six pin power cables.

Honestly I can't think of any easy way I can test it someone elses PC. The 760 has one 8 pin and one 6 pin. I've connected both.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
The only way to troubleshoot is through the process of elimination. You need a starting point. In my opinion that is verifying that the card is actually functional. This might mean heading to a local computer store and asking them to test the card for you. It might cost you to have it tested, but at least you won't waste your time trying 20 other fixes that will never solve your problem.

nouriyahbal3lik

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
So basically I recently bought a used GTX 760 SC for something like 20 bucks, I know the implications of buying used cards and suspected it wouldn't function. I have an interesting situtation with it, upon installing it, my pc POSTs and boots and the graphics card spins up. I get video signal for a few seconds and I can see the login screen on my monitor, then I lose video signal and the fans jump to 100% speed. Do I have a dead card or is it something else? My pc boots fine on my old card so its either power supply issues or the card itself
(if it's a dead card, again it was only 20 bucks)

Mobo: Asus m5a97 r2.0
PSU: CM 450 bronze (I know the card technically needs a more powerful psu but I've read the people use it like this fine)
RAM: 8 gb DDR3
cpu: fx 4300 (I know it probably will bottleneck and im looking to upgrade)
Im running windows 10 and booting off a 860 Evo
u must remove old drivers and install new one
every gpu has a specific driver
if you still have the same problem try to put your gpu on an another computer dont forget to install the drivers

user1765

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
Update:

I tested the GPU in a friend's PC with a 700 watt PSU (just to rule out power issues). Also took it apart to change paste and look for any visible damage or corrosion. PC posts and boots and the fans spin up but I have no signal from any of the ports. I couldn't find any obvious damage so I seem to be leaning heavily towards a dead card,would I be correct?

Last edited:

user1765

Prominent
Apr 18, 2019
In all honesty it sounds like a dud. Maybe the previous owner tried to modify the GPU BIOS and bricked it?

Here I am replying to this thread almost a month later, the irony.

I all honesty I'm not sure. I bought it from some kid and he said it had worked fine before. At least I might be able to partially part it out.