[SOLVED] Do i have a GPU or PSU problem?

Mar 5, 2022
I have a pretty old pc i5 6600k and a r9 390 running 2 monitors. In the last couple of weeks when i tried to play some games like rocket league after a little while ( sometimes instantly sometimes a couple minutes) the screen would go black the sound would still work for a little bit but then would freeze up and i would need to restart the PC. I tried playing league of legends and that was working ok until the last couple of days and then it started doing the same thing even with that. Now today the screen was going black and freezing even when i was just using the internet. I checked the temps just before some of the crashes and they seemed ok GPU was less than 65 C. I also pulled the GPU out and it looked ok and the fans are working on it. I have currently plugged one of my screens straight into the motherboard and i can use the internet again without freezing. I dont have access to any spare parts is there anyway to narrow down what could be causing this.

Solution
Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose pc hardware failures is to swap suspected components with known good replacements.

From your symptoms, ( failure on different games), I would rule out the usual suspect, namely the need for a game patch.

Your 850w psu is certainly strong enough and I would not suspect that.
If you can borrow a known good psu to replace with as a test, that might be ok.
But, 850w on a working psu is sufficient for a very large gpu upgrade, I would not be in a hurry to replace it.

Looking on newegg user reviews the R9 390 cards seem to have more than their fair shares of user reviews.
Such cards are used in mining where display artifacts are not important.
With proper disclosure, you can probably sell it , even...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You're advised to parse the specs to your build when posting a thread of troubleshooting nature. Please parse them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitors:

As a side note, include the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model.

Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose pc hardware failures is to swap suspected components with known good replacements.

From your symptoms, ( failure on different games), I would rule out the usual suspect, namely the need for a game patch.

Your 850w psu is certainly strong enough and I would not suspect that.
If you can borrow a known good psu to replace with as a test, that might be ok.
But, 850w on a working psu is sufficient for a very large gpu upgrade, I would not be in a hurry to replace it.

Looking on newegg user reviews the R9 390 cards seem to have more than their fair shares of user reviews.
Such cards are used in mining where display artifacts are not important.
With proper disclosure, you can probably sell it , even as defective on ebay.

The R9-390 is now some 7 years old. Parts do not last forever.
I think it is time to consider an upgrade.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS