do i have a latency problem????

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
i have a compaq presario laptop that i love, but when using windows vista and the drive is NOT being accessed it seems that there is a latency problem. i have 2x1gig transcend ddr2 667 memory and sisoft sandra is reporting the timings as 5-5-5-15.....

i am using a hitatchi 60 gig 7200 RPM sata drive....it is a year and a half old and seems some high end 5400rpm 2.5 inch drives are beating it out.

i ditched my 1.6ghz amd turion x2 for a 2ghz dual core so that i can get the most out of my memory bandwidth (true 667mhz). i have not tested since the CPU upgrade...

my question....since my laptop can actually handle 800mhz ddr2 sodimms...would THAT help latency over the 667 modules at the same timings....i'm leaning towards staying with 2gig over 4 gig and i'll state why in a second....or should i just buy one of patriots SSD 64gig drives that offer better performance than my 36gig raptor on my main PC..

reason why latency is such a big deal now is that on my main PC (i just upgraded it)...p5n-mx motherboard, e2180, and 2x1gig ddr2 667... overclocked the CPU to 2.66 by raising the buss speed to 1066FSB was dissapointed at first cause it DIDNT feel any faster than my pentium d 805 overclocked to 3.0ghz, BUT when i adjusted the ram times to synced AUTO the kingston ram 667 clocked up to 888mhz (it's not dual channel but for some reason does not matter on this board) and when i rebooted i was blown away on how much faster the system booted into vista and how snappy it was!!! THIS is why i want to know if a SSD OR ddr2 800mhz ram will do the trick.... sandra based my memory latency and bandwidth against some of the best p45 motherboards and it was well within range....

so which one

1. SSD that is faster or as fast as a raptor drive

2. go from 667 to 800mhz ddr2 ram modules and experience the same bandwidth as my main PC...

Thanks!

As long as the memory is running at the FSB frequency x2 that is all you need. You would not see any improvements with 800Mhz RAM unless you also pushed the FSB beyond 333.

If you were running Vista 64 bit I would just say run 4 GB and ditch the virtual memory completely.