Do I have a phishing virus?

Loganbee123

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Hello.

A few months ago, I was stupid enough to click a link sent on steam. All my passwords were changed and I lost a lot of accounts (but did regain others). Since then, I have been running on an old hard drive and have had no issues. Today though, I decided to boot using my infected drives. I ran a full system scan using Avast and turned up with no threats. I'm still afraid that my computer is still infected and I have not logged in to any accounts. Is there a way to know if i'm still infected? If so, is there a way to remove it?

Thanks

Solution
Download malwarebytes. Boot into safe mode with networking and run the full scan from there. It should pick up and remove all traces of malware from your PC. Run the Avast full scan there as well

Reyaz123

Admirable
Download malwarebytes. Boot into safe mode with networking and run the full scan from there. It should pick up and remove all traces of malware from your PC. Run the Avast full scan there as well

Solution

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
First, don't ever click on links you get from unknown people or places.

You can only be as sure you are not infected as far as you trust the AV scanners. IF you trust them to say you are ok, and you believe them, then go for it. You can also get other AV scanners and see what they say.

Personally, now that I work in malware research, I don't trust any system once compromised. Wipe it clean and start over.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
There is absolutely no guarantee Avast would have warned him. It is all dependent on the malware definitions Avast has. IF their researchers have never come across that particular bad site, I promise you it is not going to be detected by Avast.

That's how all AV scanners are, they are only as good as the malware definitions put into them.

Loganbee123

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

After restaring and booting in safe mode with networking, I get an error and my computer blue screens. Any help?
Thanks.

Loganbee123

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

I have re installed windows on both my SSD and HDD but I want to be certain. Should I format both my SSD and HDD?

Reyaz123

Admirable
Your computer blue screens in safe mode with networking? Try regular safe mode without networking

That can't be good if neither of them works. You should reinstall windows or run a system repair if none work

But one way to completely get rid of a virus is to do a clean install of windows, not necessary but an option

(unfortunately you will have lose all of your files doing a clean install of windows because if they were infected, undetectable by an antivirus, and you transfer those files to an external drive to add back to your reinstalled version of Windows, it can bring the virus back into your system)

Loganbee123

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

Is there any possible way to know if I still have the virus for I have re installed many times.