Do I Have a Problem in my Mobo/PSU?

AKomrade

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hi. Need some help really badly.

-Plugged WRONG ATX cable into mobo for ONE power up
-Green light on mobo flashes on when I connect my psu
-PSU briefly (1 sec or less) turns on all lights and fans without GPU/Sound card plugged into PSU while doing paperclip test
-Have no I/O panel inserted in case
-This is a brand new motherboard (literally installed today)
-Power button does not work with PSU plugged in

Was previously unable to boot computer (lights, fans, HDD, DVD drive all functioning), but it was probably because I hadn't plugged in ATX cable.

Do I need to sprint down to Best Buy to get a new PSU, should I be reinstalling my old mobo or is it something I've overlooked?

---Update: PSU now powers fully on with paper clip test, no sound card or GFX card plugged in.

Solution
If your motherboard doesnt have a Power button built into it, and your Case doesnt have a power button on it (which you need to connect to the motherboard, the MB manual will tell you where to plug it in, and the case's power button cable will have a label on it like "PWRBTN") then i don't know if you can actually turn your computer on.

My old computer case was a nightmare for me, because my new mobo I put into it didnt know how to interact with it's thermal sensor power button (not a button like a traditional button you press, but one that senses the heat from your finger and activates) so ANYtime my computer fully shutdown i had to crack open the case and press a button on the MB to turn it back on.
If your motherboard doesnt have a Power button built into it, and your Case doesnt have a power button on it (which you need to connect to the motherboard, the MB manual will tell you where to plug it in, and the case's power button cable will have a label on it like "PWRBTN") then i don't know if you can actually turn your computer on.

My old computer case was a nightmare for me, because my new mobo I put into it didnt know how to interact with it's thermal sensor power button (not a button like a traditional button you press, but one that senses the heat from your finger and activates) so ANYtime my computer fully shutdown i had to crack open the case and press a button on the MB to turn it back on.

Solution

Latest posts