[SOLVED] Do I have bottleneck??

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
So I when I play games and what not I see that I have high CPU usage. This is my first pc and I got it at the end of August this year. The stuttering get on my last nerve and I am starting to lose my cool. I have a 60hz monitor and I turn Vsync on in the NVidia control panel and the in games and I get 1-4 fps drops and it is annoying to see every 5 seconds.

(I have a HP Pavilion TG01-0170m CTO Desktop)

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 3500
Nvidia GTX 1660ti
16gb of ram
Toshiba Dt01aca100
HP Erica 8643 motherboard

Solution
"Do I have a bottleneck?"

Yes. The answer is always yes. There always is a bottleneck somewhere no matter how powerful or "well-balanced" your PC is.

The real question is whether that bottleneck happens at some point beyond the minimum performance you can be bothered with. If you are generally happy with the performance you are getting, then bottlenecks are irrelevant.

I have an i5-3470 and GTX1050. Most people here would say this is grossly inadequate and will bottleneck the heck out of most newer games. I don't care, still plays everything I can be bothered playing well enough that I'm barely starting to get an upgrade itch.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
So I when I play games and what not I see that I have high CPU usage. This is my first pc and I got it at the end of August this year. The stuttering get on my last nerve and I am starting to lose my cool. I have a 60hz monitor and I turn Vsync on in the NVidia control panel and the in games and I get 1-4 fps drops and it is annoying to see every 5 seconds.

(I have a HP Pavilion TG01-0170m CTO Desktop)

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 3500
Nvidia GTX 1660ti
16gb of ram
Toshiba Dt01aca100
HP Erica 8643 motherboard
can I get a reply please

InvalidError

Titan

Yes. The answer is always yes. There always is a bottleneck somewhere no matter how powerful or "well-balanced" your PC is.

The real question is whether that bottleneck happens at some point beyond the minimum performance you can be bothered with. If you are generally happy with the performance you are getting, then bottlenecks are irrelevant.

I have an i5-3470 and GTX1050. Most people here would say this is grossly inadequate and will bottleneck the heck out of most newer games. I don't care, still plays everything I can be bothered playing well enough that I'm barely starting to get an upgrade itch.

Solution

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

Is there a way to get rid of stutter with v sync off? I have a 60hz monitor and my games seems to stutter when I move my mouse when I get higher fps. My monitor isn't really meant for gaming.

InvalidError

Titan
Is there a way to get rid of stutter with v sync off? I have a 60hz monitor and my games seems to stutter when I move my mouse when I get higher fps. My monitor isn't really meant for gaming.
If you only get the stutter when you have vsync off, then simply leave it on.

Periodic hiccups (every ~5s mentioned in your OP) generally indicates that a background process is either periodically doing CPU-intensive stuff or hammering a kernel lock somewhere that interferes with your games. Start by closing all unnecessary background stuff like RGB management and hardware monitoring software.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
If you only get the stutter when you have vsync off, then simply leave it on.

Periodic hiccups (every ~5s mentioned in your OP) generally indicates that a background process is either periodically doing CPU-intensive stuff or hammering a kernel lock somewhere that interferes with your games. Start by closing all unnecessary background stuff like RGB management and hardware monitoring software.
I am planning to get a 240hz g sync monitor. If I turn g sync on will that get rid of the problem as well.

You are probably looking at screen tearing at 60 or input lag not an issue with your CPU. You said you are getting a 240hz monitor? That is a pretty much a waste of money especially with your video card, pro players that get free equipment may use one and marketing and the hype gets people to buy them not actual need or benefit. Get a 144hz one, will be a big improvement over 60 and it's pretty much guaranteed you will not notice any difference from that to 240, or enough difference to be worth it.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
You are probably looking at screen tearing at 60 or input lag not an issue with your CPU. You said you are getting a 240hz monitor? That is a pretty much a waste of money especially with your video card, pro players that get free equipment may use one and marketing and the hype gets people to buy them not actual need or benefit. Get a 144hz one, will be a big improvement over 60 and it's pretty much guaranteed you will not notice any difference from that to 240, or enough difference to be worth it.
I changed my mind about the 240hz I already have a 165hz in mind.

To see if it is really just screen tearing, try limiting your fps to your refresh rate instead of using vsync.
Also might be worth monitoring your temps and usage for CPU & GPU and maybe if something is working on your drive. (Microstutters from disk access that hamper with the game loading stuff off it. Most likely not the issue, but doesn't hurt to look into)

And yes, "bottlenecking" is always there, the question is if your bottlenecked performance is sufficient for what you do.
As example: I run a i5-3570K and a GTX 1060 6G, in Destiny 2 I'm mostly GPU limited, in Planetside 2 I'm mostly CPU limited. Same system, different games, different situations.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
To see if it is really just screen tearing, try limiting your fps to your refresh rate instead of using vsync.
Also might be worth monitoring your temps and usage for CPU & GPU and maybe if something is working on your drive. (Microstutters from disk access that hamper with the game loading stuff off it. Most likely not the issue, but doesn't hurt to look into)

And yes, "bottlenecking" is always there, the question is if your bottlenecked performance is sufficient for what you do.
As example: I run a i5-3570K and a GTX 1060 6G, in Destiny 2 I'm mostly GPU limited, in Planetside 2 I'm mostly CPU limited. Same system, different games, different situations.
so you're saying screen tearing can cause sudden fps drops with v sync on and off?

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

I am using the Toshiba dt01aca100 1tb HDD is that the problem?

so you're saying screen tearing can cause sudden fps drops with v sync on and off?

Screen tearing and input lag may seem like frame drops. Your earlier post makes it sound like you are just looking at the monitor not being as smooth as you like "Is there a way to get rid of stutter with v sync off? I have a 60hz monitor and my games seems to stutter when I move my mouse when I get higher fps. My monitor isn't really meant for gaming."

What you wrote can be the monitor not due to frame issues.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Screen tearing and input lag may seem like frame drops. Your earlier post makes it sound like you are just looking at the monitor not being as smooth as you like "Is there a way to get rid of stutter with v sync off? I have a 60hz monitor and my games seems to stutter when I move my mouse when I get higher fps. My monitor isn't really meant for gaming."

What you wrote can be the monitor not due to frame issues.
I see the fps drops on my fps counter, I have a 60hz monitor (and I am getting my 165hz soon) so I turn v sync on to prevent screen tearing until my new monitor come and it drops 1 frame to 5 frames and it is really noticeable and its annoying. So will the ASUS VG258QR or the Asus VG248QG help my problem because they both have v sync. If you are wondering what monitor I am using is the HP 22er I play a lot of games so I don't know if my monitor is the problem to the fps drops. Like I said this monitor doesn't look like its for gaming so It could be the monitor causing the fps drops.