Do I Have Enough PSU Wattage?

TheRichboy247

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hey guys,

So I finally bit the bullet and decided to order the parts for my new PC. I'm a little paranoid that I have not enough wattage for all my components. I ordered an EVGA Supernova G2 650W PSU, which is a high quality tier 1 PSU. I'm wondering however, if I should step up to the 750W version.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I also plan on overclocking the 6700k, and slightly bumping up the boost on the 980.

Thanks for reading :)

Solution
You do not need to go higher if you don't want - that's a high quality power supply and maximum power draw for that should be under or around 500W. I would look at what pcpartpicker says for the amount of watts the system will use. If you pay your own electricity bill, it's generally best to buy a power supply that can supply 2X the amount of your computer's max power draw. This is because around 50% power draw, your power supply has the greatest efficiency and saves you money on your bill by drawing in less AC power relative to the DC output.

But you're perfectly fine with that unit, I would keep the 650W.
You do not need to go higher if you don't want - that's a high quality power supply and maximum power draw for that should be under or around 500W. I would look at what pcpartpicker says for the amount of watts the system will use. If you pay your own electricity bill, it's generally best to buy a power supply that can supply 2X the amount of your computer's max power draw. This is because around 50% power draw, your power supply has the greatest efficiency and saves you money on your bill by drawing in less AC power relative to the DC output.

But you're perfectly fine with that unit, I would keep the 650W.

Solution

TheRichboy247

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for the quick responses, and thanks to turkey3_scratch for providing a detailed justification. I'll probably be using this power supply until I decide to do SLI or get some new components.

On Amazon the 750W can actually be purchased (with a rebate) for the same or less than the 550W and 650W versions it seems.

TheRichboy247

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

Sadly, I can't really take advantage of Amazon, because I live in New Zealand :( I might actually have to spend the extra money to get better reliability.

TheRichboy247

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Just a quick update, thankfully my order hasn't shipped yet, so I was able to switch the 650 G1 to a 750 G2 for $40 extra. Will be well worth it though. Again, thanks for your guys' input!

TRENDING THREADS