Do I have enough watts for my graphics card?

Scott5

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hi, I just got an 8XAGP XFX GeForce 6800 XT Xtreme (aka 6800 GS/XT, more specs@link below) and I have put it in my old Dell Optiplex GX270 Mini Tower. I know it has a 250W power supply and I read on the comment at the below link that it should have at least a 400W, so now I'm worried it will be killed. When I installed it, I gave it a dedicated power cable (one for cd drive and floppy, 2nd for two HDs, 3rd for the card). What should I do?

http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/xfx-geforce-6800-xt/1707-8902_7-31976942.html

Other specs for my comp:
Pentium 4 2.8 Northwood, 533Mhz FSB
2.125 GB PC3200 RAM
Windows XP Prof SP3
40GB Master HD, 120GB slave

Solution
It may work now, but as soon as you push that card in an intensive game, your computer may crash or even have a brownout. Worst case, your PSU would go up in smoke.

Changing a PSU is really easy, just unscrew the 4 screws on the rear of the case holding the PSU. The cables for the mobo and such are self explanatory, put in new PSU, then put 4 screws back, it would take you at most 30 minutes to do this. The best way to learn is hands on experience ;)

Scott5

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
It's currently working and is having no signs of problems. And I'm not really tech savvy enough to know how to change that out. Is there no other way I could do it?

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
It may work now, but as soon as you push that card in an intensive game, your computer may crash or even have a brownout. Worst case, your PSU would go up in smoke.

Changing a PSU is really easy, just unscrew the 4 screws on the rear of the case holding the PSU. The cables for the mobo and such are self explanatory, put in new PSU, then put 4 screws back, it would take you at most 30 minutes to do this. The best way to learn is hands on experience ;)

Solution