Question Do I have multiple graphic drivers installed on my Windows 10?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 1903 on my PC today. My graphic card is GTX 1070. I didn't want to use the graphic driver (gd) that Windows 10 automatically installs but the gd that I get from the official site. I uninstalled the drivers, restarted my PC but before I could install the new drivers, Windows 10 automatically installed the drivers by itself.

I proceeded to install the graphic drivers via the NVIDIA's installer but I could not install it onto the folder that Windows' installation method had created so I had to create a separate NVIDIA folder in my program files (resulting in two folders) and used the 'express installation' method.

I am worried that this has resulted in installation of two graphic drivers.

I've tried seeing the list of drivers on my PC but can't find the graphic driver on the list from CMD or msinfo.

HWiNFO64 lists my graphic drivers' VRU temp twice which means that there might be 2 drivers installed?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
You should use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and while in Safe Mode, install the latest drivers. If anything, disconnect from the www and then try to install the drivers.

There are two problems with my PC at the moment:
  1. Restarting PC takes an inordinate amount of time. With my Samsung Evo 850 M.2 SSD, it should take less than seconds not a minute or two as it does right now. Checking HWiNFO tells me that I've apparently used 5% of the SSD's life because I've written 16000GB onto the disk which sounds ridiculous. I've formatted my PC a few times but that cannot create writing of 16TB of data.
  2. I cannot start my PC in safe mode (done via settings) because after the PC shut downs, there's a black screen for some time and then the PC just shuts down instead of restarting. I've tried twice or thrice to the same result.

That's what I told before, some OS files might be corrupt. If you did a FRESH OS install, then this shouldn't be happening, IMO. Can you restore back your OS ?

There is something surely wrong with your OS. Check the CBS.Log file for details. Some corrupt system files might be causing this issue. You need to either repair, and/or once again do a fresh/clean re-install of the OS. You can find the log file, under this location, %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

Or better yet, type the following command, and hit Enter:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

The sfcdetails.txt file includes the entries that are logged each time that the SFC.exe program runs on any computer. Or, open the sfclogs.txt located on the desktop with Notepad. The file will contain all the details of the scanned system files and information for files that couldn't be repaired.

As a side note, for the time being, try running the 'DISM' Windows commands, if required.

Type cmd in the search box. After that, type the following commands and press the Enter key.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth (This command scans for component store corruption, but does not correct any issues).

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (The /RestoreHealth parameter runs a scan for corruption and attempts to repair any issues that it finds automatically).

Restart your OS after doing all this. I would also recommend scanning the REGISTRY for any corrupt/missing entries. If the issue persists, then we need to check the Hardware, or look for some other solution.

Oh never mind, I didn't read your Original post properly. I don't think there are 2 driver versions installed on your system. The pic is just showing the Nvidia virtual AUDIO device entry...

I also have 2 entries for the GPU VRM temp values on my RX 480 GPU.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed with Metal Messiah that its not an issue.

However as a side note, if you're getting corrupt files on a clean install, I'd either be validating your OS download source, what software you're downloading afterwards, or be checking your storage drive for corruption.

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Agreed with Metal Messiah that its not an issue.

However as a side note, if you're getting corrupt files on a clean install, I'd either be validating your OS download source, what software you're downloading afterwards, or be checking your storage drive for corruption.

Yes that is what I think too. I use a torrent of Windows 1903 that said 'untouched' so I don't know why the OS would be the issue. I did a clean re-install and this time deleted all the partitions of the C drive. (Window swas detecting my earlier install - when I installed Windows 10 the last time, I forgot to format the associated partitions (reserved memories) of the C drive and that may be why when I tried to fix my startup using a Windows 10 USB it told me to select one OS.)

Unfortunately, the long start up time issue persists. I did a sfc /scannow and it didn't find any problems with the new installation. Ditto for DISM scan. Task Manager tells me that the last BIOS time was 10 seconds when it clearly wasn't. It was far longer. The screen was stuck on the Windows logo.

Should I try installing Windows 10 from a different source?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
OK so the issue seems to have gotten better. The restart time has improved but it's still slower than what it was (i.e. snappy).

Should I still try a different source of Windows 10 or is 1903 known for making boot up times slower?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
OK so the issue seems to have gotten better. The restart time has improved but it's still slower than what it was (i.e. snappy).

Should I still try a different source of Windows 10 or is 1903 known for making boot up times slower?
Use a legit Window 10, TH forums don't endorse any illegal activity (especially pirating). And a legit Windows will undoubtedly solve your problem.

Worst case, use legit windows 10 but simply don't activate it. There is nothing illegal about this and it still acts as normal Windows, you just have a "activate windows" watermark appear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.