[SOLVED] Do i have to buy another CPU or a GPU? (Low GPU% in games)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019
Ok, i made a thread about my pc getting low fps in rust but i got no good explanation so i will try one more time with more detailed information, i just cant let it go..

I have a 2080 RTX OC with a

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
32 gb of RAM
750W PSU
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4 motherboard.
Screen :
Asus 27" MG278Q
2560x1440, 144hz, 1ms, FreeSync, 2xHDMI/DP,

My friends have 1070/1080 cards with Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor and they get 100+ fps, while im stuck at 75. With the same settings and resulotion.

The fps wont change if i change the settings.
My GPU usage is only at 25%-38% and CPU around 35% and its killing me, i bought the computer just for better fps in Rust because its the game i play the most. I had the same fps with my older laptop with 4k screen with a 1070 card..

The GPU usaged would go up to around 66% with all setttings on high.. but then my fps goes down lower, 60-65 fps

Tried all types of resulotions.
Gsync is off
Vsync is off
Powermode is set high

Ive done everything people have told me and i cant get more fps, i know rust isnt optmized but cm on.. 75 fps?

And in Battlefield V

GPU% is 66%
CPU% around 70-75%

And im at 80-90 fps

Should i go for 2080TI ? And go back to Intel i7 or i9 ?

Solution
As gaming demands increase your system will start to do better due to superior multicore performance and especially playing higher res 1440p resoltions via the RTX 2080. Right now he's winning up front because the i9 9700k has superior single core performance that give's you higher up front FPS. I guarantee your system will have a smoother gaming experience with better 1% lows in fps.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
what processors do this MOB support? It says 1st and 2nd gen but what processors are 1 and 2 gen?

And i tihnk sockets is something you should know aswell?
I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F as well and I have a 3700x installed in mine and it works Great.
You will just need to set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults and reboot then update the BIOS to version 2801 then install the 3700x and clear the CMOS.

You could even get a 3900x but I think that would probably be overkill.

And IMO, the problem with your PC right now is that you have BIOS 2704 which is optimized for a 3000 series CPU and you have a 2000 series CPU.

Last edited:

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019
I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F as well and I have a 3700x installed in mine and it works Great.
You will just need to set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults and reboot then update the BIOS to version 2801 then install the 3700x and clear the CMOS.

I really appreciate the help you have given me.

Just 3 more questions.

Does my high EDC make my fps worse?
Why is it high? and it was like that when i got my PC without me doing something With my PC.
In all honesty, what processor would you choose for highend gaming?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I really appreciate the help you have given me.

Just 3 more questions.

Does my high EDC make my fps worse?
Why is it high? and it was like that when i got my PC without me doing something With my PC.
In all honesty, what processor would you choose for highend gaming?
The EDC is just telling you how much current the CPU is drawing.
It should NOT be as high as it is at idle but when under load (like while gaming) I would expect it to go up to 80-90%.

IMO, the problem with your PC right now is that you have BIOS 2704 which is optimized for a 3000 series CPU and you have a 2000 series CPU.

Installing 3700x would the most cost effective solution for you and should get your fps up to where you thought it would be with the 2700x (100+ fps) in most games.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1b8j7NZ2vQ

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019
IMO, the problem with your PC right now is that you have BIOS 2704 which is optimized for a 3000 series CPU and you have a 2000 series CPU.
Installing 3700x would the most cost effective solution for you and should get your fps up to where you thought it would be with the 2700x (100+ fps) in most games.

Can you choose the bios Version in the bios settings?

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019

And why is the MOB supporting 3000 series better when they are 3rd gen? It says in descripton that it only supports 1st and 2nd gen?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
And why is the MB supporting 3000 series better when they are 3rd gen? It says in descripton that it only supports 1st and 2nd gen?
It is the BIOS version not the motherboard itself.
The Best BIOS version for a 2000 Series CPU for this motherboard is version 1201 which has AGESA 1.0.0.6 in it.
Every BIOS newer than 1201 was designed for Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs and do NOT work as well as BIOS 1201 does with a 2000 series CPU.

And if you look, the MB page has Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready at the top right side of the page:

Can you choose the bios Version in the bios settings?
NO.

Last edited:

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019
It is the BIOS version not the motherboard itself.
The Best BIOS version for a 2000 Series CPU for this motherboard is version 1201 which has AGESA 1.0.0.6 in it.
Every BIOS newer than 1201 was designed for Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs and do NOT work as wel las BIOS 1201 does with a 2000 series CPU.

And if you look, the MB page has Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready at the top right side of the page:

NO.

I will order one now.

So when i get it.

I have to set BIOS setting to default, then restart PC or did you mean reboot in reinstall Windows?
And then update to 2801 veriosn wich i Guess shows up as an option?
Then install the 3700x and Clear the CMOS With a screwdriver?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You don't sound very confident with updating a BIOS so I would recommend that you don't do that.
BIOS 2704 (which you have) will work with a 3700x just fine for now.
So when you get the 3700x, go into the BIOS with the 2700x still installed and go to the EXIT tab and click Load Optimized Defaults and the OK (when it pops up).

Then do this:
  • Unplug the PC (PSU).
  • Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  • Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
  • Plug the PC back in.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
  • Repeatedly tap the DEL key
  • A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
  • Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
  • Save and exit the BIOS.

Then Unplug the PC and carefully remove the CPU cooler and the 2700x.
Then install the 3700x and it's Cooler and go into the BIOS again and Load Optimized Defaults again and then Save Change and Reset (reboot).

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019
You don't sound very confident with updating a BIOS so I would recommend that you don't do that.
BIOS 2704 (which you have) will work with a 3700x just fine for now.
So when you get the 3700x, go into the BIOS with the 2700x still installed and go to the EXIT tab and click Load Optimized Defaults and the OK (when it pops up).

Then do this:
  • Unplug the PC (PSU).
  • Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  • Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
  • Plug the PC back in.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
  • Repeatedly tap the DEL key
  • A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
  • Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
  • Save and exit the BIOS.
Then Unplug the PC and carefully remove the CPU cooler and the 2700x.
Then install the 3700x and it's Cooler and go into the BIOS again and Load Optimized Defaults again and then Save Change and Reset (reboot).

Thanks alot DMAN999

I have high hopes when i get My new 16gb 3200mhz RAM and Ryzen 3700x

It was a huge fps diffrence between 2700x and 3700x on Rust.

2700x with a 2060 card has around 70fps while the 3700x was up at 120~

Reactions: DMAN999

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019

And IMO, the problem with your PC right now is that you have BIOS 2704 which is optimized for a 3000 series CPU and you have a 2000 series CPU.

Hi man, i installed the cpu, now my PC isnt starting up at all. I updated to 2801 before i set back to default and its not showing any signs og life

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019
Any power or lights all?

Yes, now when i took it out again and putted IT back, the lights and fan came on. I didnt put the cooler on this time because i wasnt sure it was gonna start but it did and it got hot pretty fast and the computer turnes itself off. Now it comes on but fan dosent start and the screen is black.

Should i clear the power again?

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Yes, now when i took it out again and putted IT back, the lights and fan came on. I didnt put the cooler on this time because i wasnt sure it was gonna start but it did and it got hot pretty fast and the computer turnes itself off. Now it comes on but fan dosent start and the screen is black.

Should i clear the power again?
Reset CMOS, or else load optimized settings again. If it didnt help, I think something is wronf somewhere else

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Try clearing the CMOS again like this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.

I had to clear the CMOS on mine 3 or 4 times when I was OCing my 2600 and my RAM.
So it might take a few times before everything is fully cleared out
Also I would only install 1 stick of RAM in Slot A2 (2nd from the CPU).
If it boots with just the one stick of RAM then shutdown and install the second stick in slot B2.

kng8te

Great
Oct 5, 2019
Crosslhs82x2 makes a good point.
If the Cooler is over tightened it can cause issues with Memory Controller on the CPU not recognizing the RAM.

Ok so ive cleard the cmos 2 times now, now the fans on my GPU are going wild. But all the lights and other fans are working. But no light in my keyboard or mouse. And screen is still black