Question Do I have to change the Clock Ratio of a CPU to Auto if I'm using Intel's Turbo Boost Technology?

Dec 1, 2020
Hi,
So a few days ago I decided to try out the Intel Turbo Boost Technology in my i3-10100F 3.60GHz ~ 4.30 GHz. And from the videos I watched and the threads I read, I know that it basically runs at the base speed whenever we leave the PC in an idle state, or just browsing the web and what not. But once we start playing games for example, the CPU's speed will increase. But the problem with mine is that it runs at around 4.00GHz ~ 4.10GHz even tho it's in an idle state (Idle Temp: 35-40 C, When gaming: 50-55C) So I was wondering if I have to do something about the clock ratio. Then I decided to set all of my clock ratio including the cores to Auto. is this normal? Or do i have to do something about the clock ratio, frequency, voltage?

Rig:
Power Supply: Imperion 550W
Processor: Intel Core i3-10100F
Motherboard: Gigabyte H410M-S2
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 1650 DDR5
RAM: Kingston 2x8 DDR4 2400 MHz

Hey there,

Don't be worrying about clock ratio for the moment. You're CPU is boosting to it's 'all core' boost which is 4.1ghz. This is normal.

With regard to the CPU running at max clocks most of the time, take a look at your windows power profile. Change them from performance to balanced and then see if the base speeds are lower. Your CPU should be able to downclock to lower that 3.6ghz at idle. Changing the power plan should help with that.

Dec 1, 2020
Hey there,

Don't be worrying about clock ratio for the moment. You're CPU is boosting to it's 'all core' boost which is 4.1ghz. This is normal.

With regard to the CPU running at max clocks most of the time, take a look at your windows power profile. Change them from performance to balanced and then see if the base speeds are lower. Your CPU should be able to downclock to lower that 3.6ghz at idle. Changing the power plan should help with that.
Hi,
Thank you so much for the reply. I tried changing my power option from Ultimate Performance to Balanced and my cpu is now sitting at around 2.10GHz ~ 3.00 GHz in an idle state. So if I switch to Ultimate Performance when I'm playing games, would it boost the performance? If not, I'll probably set my power option to Balanced at all times.

Hi,
Thank you so much for the reply. I tried changing my power option from Ultimate Performance to Balanced and my cpu is now sitting at around 2.10GHz ~ 3.00 GHz in an idle state. So if I switch to Ultimate Performance when I'm playing games, would it boost the performance? If not, I'll probably set my power option to Balanced at all times.

Great, that's what I was hoping for. Your CPU should boost to 4.1ghz or so on all cores, and up to 4.3 for a single core. If you run HWMon/info, alongside a game, you can see what speeds it will boost to, whilst set on balanced power plan. If it doesn't boost as you expect, then changing the power plan before a game, will give you max CPU performance.

Your temps are good, so it should work just fine.

Hi,
Setting the power plan to "Ultimate Performance" or "High Performance" won't add performance. If you're trying to win some competitions in micro-benchmarking maybe setting it to a higher power plan may help, but the CPU will boost to its fullest in Balanced otherwise.

Dec 1, 2020
Quick update.
A few days after I enabled the Turbo Boost, my computer starts randomly crashing and getting BSODs. Just here to make sure if it's really the Turbo Boost making my computer act up, or it's the other hardware components. And it also seems like the crashes occurs more often when I'm playing games like Apex Legends or GTA V. Any replies would help :)
(Note: My motherboard, processor, RAM, PSU, graphics card are all newly bought.)