[SOLVED] Do I have to clean the thermal paste and reapply it everytime I'm changing coolers?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello guys. I bought a ryzen 5 2600. Right now I have a corsair h100i v2 aio paired with an fx 9370 and I ordered an AM4 bracket kit for my cooler from banggood. It'll take one-two weeks to arrive, so I was wondering if I should use the stock cooler until the bracket kit arrives. Should I do that?(I plan to overclock the 2600 to 4ghz). If I do that, will I have to clean the cpu's surface with 99% isopropyl alcohol and then apply new thermal paste and install my h100i v2 or is that not required? Can I just straight remove the stock cooler and place the corsair one? Thanks in advance.

You will have trouble finding 99% alcohol.
No matter, 91% is fine and even less is ok.

The objective is to get as close as possible to a metal to metal contact.
A small drop in the middle will spread evenly under heat and pressure.
That is why you need to clean and replace on every remount.

If you used something that could leave lint from a cloth that is not good.
Hence the recommendation to use a paper coffee filter.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
You will have trouble finding 99% alcohol.
No matter, 91% is fine and even less is ok.

The objective is to get as close as possible to a metal to metal contact.
A small drop in the middle will spread evenly under heat and pressure.
That is why you need to clean and replace on every remount.

If you used something that could leave lint from a cloth that is not good.
Hence the recommendation to use a paper coffee filter.
What do you mean it's hard to find 99% isopropyl alcohol? I found it in the first pharmacy I went to. Also, I have coffee filters as well as microfibre, but both of them are lint free. I watched a YouTube video where they used coffee filters, but I read in the internet many people recommending microfibre as well. Which one will work best?

TRENDING THREADS