Do I have to give up on AMD?

Warren_25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
hello, i was referred to the forum by a coworker who insisted that I leave AMD for Intel. I have gotten into video editing and my current build is just not keeping up....but it is working. I have been looking at multi core AMD AM3+ chips and playing around with some builds. The Intels and Ryzens seem to be out of my budget. Video editing needs cores and hyper threading right? I do not game but all the AMD stuff brags about is gaming prowess. makes me wonder...

Is there an AM3+ chip that will do 1080p rendering/editing effectively?
Can I do this in a mATX form factor?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
There is no am3 chip worth using for any task anymore. However a r5 1600 and b350 motherboard is less than a competitive Intel build for what your doing by a mile. That setup will beat anything less than $550 from Intel for $400

Warren_25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
yeah, i had an r5 in my cart pricing out the build last night. So, $550 will be the bottom number for the build I am looking for. Let me go play around with that number. I was shooting for $400.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

ryzen is what you need to be looking at, great workhorse not a gaming cpu

there is nothing from intel that would be competitive in its price bracket

look at the Ryzen 5 1600, 6 cores 12 threads ~$200

amtseung

Distinguished
In all likelihood, that R5 will be way better at playing your games than any AM3/+ CPU that has ever existed. I'd go out on a limb and say it's probably on par with a similarly-spec'd Intel CPU, but at a fraction of the cost. And as a 6c/12t CPU, it should be pretty damn good at chewing through the footage you throw at it.

Many techtubers said this too, but the R5 and R7 lineup work really well in workstation scenarios. AMD pushed the gaming angle just to try and build hype in the gaming community.

AM3 was obsolete before it came out. AM3+ is a slightly glorified, repackaged AM3. I lit motherboards on fire trying to get an FX8320 to match an i5 4460 in cinebench. It never got close.

Warren_25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
thank you everyone. I think i have my answer, some of the bundles with the R5 etc and I am hitting ~$500 each time. I will also go up from mATX to ATX so that I can water cool with no stress.

Warren_25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

I was hoping too make it quiet. My current fan is so loud even though it's not stock and has bball bearings. Really annoying

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Water coolers aren't quiter. A good air cooler is usually quieter. Something like a noctua dh15/14 would be damn near silent, out perform any sub $145 water cooler and do so quieter than any watercooler

bkcheah75

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
I jusr switched from fx8350 to intel i7 7700k. The reason i goto intel because mobo z170 only can support ddr3 and cheap because will be obsolete soon. The i7 7700k has thermal problem when overclock due to poor thermal compound between ihs and die. So you want to consider that. Ryzen still very expensive in my country and work well fo multithreads.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The 7700k and 6700k have the exact same paste on die. They are the same chip the 7700k is basically just factory overclocked. It doesn't run any hotter than a 6700k at the same speeds, usually better temps as it'll run on lower voltage. The 7700k has a bit less overclocking headroom since it is just an overclocked 6700k to begin with

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Coolers do not make any noise whatsoever. Doesn't matter if it's an air cooled heatsink or a liquid cooling radiator, neither makes any noise. The only thing that really does is the fans. There's absolutely no comparing the Noctua 140mm fans on a D15 with the abysmal 140mm lumps of plastic Corsair claims are fans. My nzxt Kraken X61, on the other hand, is dead silent at idle and at gaming loads is barely a whisper. Even maxed out, the D15 is relatively loud, getting over 50db(A).

Please, please, please stop with the BS. The D15 might be king of the aircoolers, but for pure thermal power, it can't touch a decent 140mm, average 240mm or a mediocre 280mm, reaching saturation at lower wattage. It's only at less than maximum saturation that the D15 matches or sometimes beats the liquid coolers in a temp per watt race

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2766&page=5

I'd dare to say that if you slapped those Noctua 140mm on any 280mm rad, there'd be absolutely no argument anymore as to aircoolers being quieter than liquid coolers. I also own a h55, swapped the 120mm lump of Corsair plastic for an unused nf-f12 I had laying about. Slightly better temps, seriously better noise. Dead silent except under stress tests.

As it is, I'm waiting for Noctua to team up with someone like Swiftec and really change the game.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
And yet it's quieter than everything above it. And none of them offer enough more headroom (max of 3.5 C°) to get even 100 MHz out of a chip that the dh15 will get. And all of the coolers above it are more expensive. I'll take quiter, cheaper, and just as good of performance all day long

And no the radiator doesn't make noise but pumps do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some pumps do,ill admit that, the asetek designs are usually silent, the coolits are hit and miss and I've never heard a quiet eisberg yet.

Those tests were at 150w, or a reasonable OC on an i7. Dump the voltage and shoot that wattage over well over 200w and the story changes, the D15 gets saturated and fails while the larger 280mm just keep chugging along.

I'm like you, I prefer quiet, but at extreme OC levels, you just can't beat a 280mm with any aircooler. There's simply not enough surface area to displace that kind of wattage.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
It's still enough to run a 7700k at 5.0ghz I've built 3 using a dh15. I guess that's​ my point. There are better coolers, just not sure what the point is usually you hit s voltage wall before the thermal wall.

Warren_25

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
been a minute but i had to attend my other vices.... I have a build in my wish list at Newegg. coming down to the final decisions and I wanted to make sure that the 6core R5 is the way to go for video editing.

Would any of the 4 Core R5's even warrant consideration?

R7 is definitely out. I am leaning toward the R5 1600 16GB ram and a Gigabyte board. I will get fans etc. later.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Figure it this way. Each of the cores on a Ryzen cpu are pretty much equitable to the Haswell/Devils Canyon Intel cores. So what a R5 1600 represents is basically equitable to a 6core/12thread i7-4770k. For gaming purposes, that's @10% less than what a skylake/kabylake cpu can do with single thread power. But. You are not looking for single thread performance as much as multiple thread performance. And that 4c/8t i7 cannot even compare to 6c/12t. For sheer amount of work capacity, a Ryzen i5 1600 will dust a i7-7700k. If you drop down to a R5 1500, now you are matching an i7 core for core, and Intel faster throughput will make a difference. It's 4 threads. That's the same amount of processing power as an i3 dual core HT cpu. That's a huge difference in ability.
Stick with the 1600, even if you gotta eat Ramen noodle soup for a month, it'll pay off dividends for what you need the pc to do.

Not a fan of Gigabyte boards, when they work right they are great, probably the best there is in each area, but if there's any quirks, you go nuts. Asrock is decent, even (imagine my surprise) the Biostar x370 is very good, but really it's mostly a competition between Asus and MSI, and MSI is winning in the more budget areas with the Gaming pro, Tomahawk etc.
Looking at ddr4 ram, there's 2 considerations. For your needs, more is better, if you could squeeze 32Gb, go for it. Generally 16Gb is the minimum recommended, 8Gb absolute lowest and thats only if you have no option. 2nd consideration with a Ryzen is the cpu. It's new 'Infinity Fabric' version of HT makes much better use of higher speed ram than Intel does. 3200 is about the limit of reasonably priced ram. Over that and prices get ridiculous. Personal favorite is g-skill Trident-Z. So far they have shown the best compatability with Ryzen cpus, along with G-skill ripjaws V. Last I heard, amd was still working on issues with Corsair Vengeance LPX, but that either has changed, or might change soon. So 16Gb of g-skill Z or V is still the best bet.