Do I Have to Gradually Overclock?

HappyHambo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I'm a beginner in overclocking (AKA never overclocked before, ever) and I'm planning on overclocking my 4690k once I get my Cryorig h7. I've been reading quite a lot about it and I'm a bit confused. In this article http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2 it says to set your CPU to 40x multiplier and 1.000v and gradually increase it, adding 0.025v when theres instabilities and if theres none add another 1x multiplier. If they have already found how far the 4690k can be pushed, can't I just whack in 47x multiplier and 1.300v in the bios and save myself a lot of time?

I'm really not sure if that's what most people do anyway or if there's some sort of problem with that?

Anyway, help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

PS - Do you think a 650W PSU would be ok for an overclocked 4690k CPU and a 980Ti (EVGA Superclocked+ ACX+)

Solution
If the 650W PSU is good quality, it will be fine for OC'ing.
Yes, take the multi up a click at a time checking for temps and stability between increases. I would not jump to some random number and hope for the best. Every piece of silicon is different.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the 650W PSU is good quality, it will be fine for OC'ing.
Yes, take the multi up a click at a time checking for temps and stability between increases. I would not jump to some random number and hope for the best. Every piece of silicon is different.

Solution

Saberus

Distinguished
Not every chip is exactly the same, and can't take the exact same settings. Ramping up is just a more sensible way to make sure the chip isn't pushed too hard, up it a bit, let it run and test that it's stable - lather, rinse, repeat.

But there is nothing stopping you from jumping in head first with a high clock, it's just risky and you could overshoot the chip's capacity.

Soulage

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

Almost every post you make in the overclocking section is the same thing, if you don't have anything useful to add don't bother.