[SOLVED] Do i have to have different SATA cables connected to SSD and HDD ?

lvevoch

Prominent
Nov 24, 2018
Hello, I ran into this problem today, I bought new SSD and HDD, and I connected them with two SATA DATA CABLES and both with a SINGLE SATA POWER CABLE with 4 sata pins on the cable. But when running windows it does not show the HDD still. At first I though it was my SATA motherboard Cable but then I checked and it wasn’t the issue. I don’t really have the second pin out cable for SATA. Do i have to buy one or is it not the issue ?

Last edited:
Solution
He means Disk Management in Windows.
For Win10 just click the start button and type in Disk management. It should appear in the list. If yiu see it listed in the lower section, rt click on it and initialize it, select simple storage.

Hopefully you had this disconnected when you installed windows to the ssd.

lvevoch

Prominent
Nov 24, 2018
Second pin out cable?

Typically drives require a SATA power cable and a SATA data cable. Power cable goes to the PSU and data cable to the motherboard.
Yeah I connected 2 different data cables, but used one power cable from PSU, the cable from PSU has 4 SATA outlets and I connected 2, one to SSD and another to HDD

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, I ran into this problem today, I bought new SSD and HDD, and I connected them both with a single SATA power cable. But when running windows it does not show the HDD still. At first I though it was my SATA motherboard Cable but then I checked and it wasn’t the issue. I don’t really have the second pin out cable for SATA. Do i have to buy one or is it not the issue ?
What full parts list of this system?
Any other drives in it?

popatim

Titan
He means Disk Management in Windows.
For Win10 just click the start button and type in Disk management. It should appear in the list. If yiu see it listed in the lower section, rt click on it and initialize it, select simple storage.

Hopefully you had this disconnected when you installed windows to the ssd.

Solution