Question Do I have to re apply Thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaksadirimon

Reputable
May 17, 2019
I am using Cooler Master masterair ma410P and I had to unmount the cooler and re mount it because the shop mounted it wrong position. I didn't re apply any thermal paste and now I am idling in 42c with 3 intake and 3 exhaust and the temp is not stable. Sometime in idle its going up to like 50-55c and In system stability test Aida64 65-74c . Is the temps ok? I am using r5 2600 (No Overclock) The room temp is like 30c. View: https://imgur.com/a/77UEWxS

shaksadirimon

Reputable
May 17, 2019
Those temps are OK in terms of safety but it should be <70 with that cooler. You may try to reapply the thermal paste to get sub 70C under load
Usually under load the temp is like 65 but sometime it jumps up to 74 and decrease very fast to 65 again. Is it because of the thermal paste or this is how it should be? :/

Kurtisdede

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
It's completely fine for your CPU to occosionally jump to 75C. Even running processors at 90C these days for long periods of time isn't a problem, you don't have anything to worry about.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
It wouldn't hurt to re-apply, worst thing that could happen is you get the same results . Best case, you improve your thermals. I re-paste my CPU 1 or 2 times a year (I know that you dont need to repaste that much but I just repastes everytime I open my pc to clean)

I use Arctic Silver 5 and will clean and reapply usually annually. Doesn't hurt. You have to be careful and not use too much. I saw one where the guy was having big thermal Problems and he had just put new thermal paste on. Told him to clean it and reapply and take a picture before he reinstalled the CPU. He did and it looked like he was icing a cake. That defeated the purpose as it insulated the CPU and didn't allow for the transfer of heat to the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.