[SOLVED] Do i have to take the cpu out to reapply thermal paste?

Feb 27, 2019
I going to buy a new cooler and i need to reapply thermal paste. I was wondering if i have to take the cpu out of the motherboard and then clean up the old thermal paste on it, or if its safe to clean it off while the cpu is on there.

Solution
I going to buy a new cooler and i need to reapply thermal paste. I was wondering if i have to take the cpu out of the motherboard and then clean up the old thermal paste on it, or if its safe to clean it off while the cpu is on there.
In fact it is easiest to clean it while it is seated. Like that you avoid unwanted damage to the pins. Just be careful not to smear the paste where it doesn't belong and be sure to unplug the power chord before.

P.S.: And please use something anti-static to wipe the paste off, not your regular dust cloth. Paper towel will work just fine. You can even apply cleaning alcohol, but very scarcely.

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
In fact it is easiest to clean it while it is seated. Like that you avoid unwanted damage to the pins. Just be careful not to smear the paste where it doesn't belong and be sure to unplug the power chord before.

P.S.: And please use something anti-static to wipe the paste off, not your regular dust cloth. Paper towel will work just fine. You can even apply cleaning alcohol, but very scarcely.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 27, 2019

Thank you for your reply, im going to buy the ArctiClean set and i will use a paper towel.

Reactions: McKeu