[SOLVED] Do i have to upgrade my PSU?

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
I've been using the 500W W1 80+ white for the past 4 years on my current pc with no problems whatsoever (4th gen i3, gtx 960, 12gb ram, 1 ssd, 2 hdd), and i'm going to upgrade to either a Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600, a new mobo obviously, and 2x8 16gb ram. Theoretically with the power consumption it should still be fine, but people all over the internet are talking about this psu like if it was the antichrist or something. So should i really buy something better?
On the other side my countries market is VERY limited PSU wise, so i'll be posting a few of the alternatives i've got at my budget (around 100$ here = 16000 ars would be my limit)
EVGA 500w 80 bronze
EVGA 600w 80 white
EVGA 550w (not 80+?)
Thermaltake Smart 500w 80+ white
Thermaltake Smart 700w 80+ white
Corsair CV 650W 80+ bronze
Coolermaster Elite V3 600w (not 80+?)
Coolermaster MWE v2 550w 80+ white

And every other reputable brand on the market is either ridiculously overpriced due to low volumes (which most of them are used) or other brands that i wont even bother to mention because i know they're just straight garbage.

Solution
Got it, but do you think it is worth it actually upgrading to that? Considering it'll take a good bite off my budget, if the corsair is not great either, and both are around the same price range, would you do it?
The fact that the W1 is low quality and yours is out of warranty, I'd replace it before upgrading. Consider the fact that the power supply is the most important component of the system and make your decision. Also consider that when making any major system upgrade the power supply should be the first thing you look at.
I've been using the 500W W1 80+ white for the past 4 years on my current pc with no problems whatsoever (4th gen i3, gtx 960, 12gb ram, 1 ssd, 2 hdd), and i'm going to upgrade to either a Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600, a new mobo obviously, and 2x8 16gb ram. Theoretically with the power consumption it should still be fine, but people all over the internet are talking about this psu like if it was the antichrist or something. So should i really buy something better?
On the other side my countries market is VERY limited PSU wise, so i'll be posting a few of the alternatives i've got at my budget (around 100$ here = 16000 ars would be my limit)
EVGA 500w 80 bronze
EVGA 600w 80 white
EVGA 550w (not 80+?)
Thermaltake Smart 500w 80+ white
Thermaltake Smart 700w 80+ white
Corsair CV 650W 80+ bronze
Coolermaster Elite V3 600w (not 80+?)
Coolermaster MWE v2 550w 80+ white

And every other reputable brand on the market is either ridiculously overpriced due to low volumes (which most of them are used) or other brands that i wont even bother to mention because i know they're just straight garbage.
If you're comfortable using your current PSU then do so. It is a relatively poor quality model. The options you listed are a little better, but not a lot. Of the listed models I'd choose the Corsair or the EVGA BR. The Corsair has a larger capacity and won't work very hard with your listed specs and may be the best choice. I wouldn't recommend anything from Thermaltake or Cooler Master except their over-priced top tier units.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The new system shouldn’t require more power so it should work with no other changes. Advisable is up to you really. I have utilized that 600w unit in some low power builds and had good service from them. Once they were put to work they showed their weakness.

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
The new system shouldn’t require more power so it should work with no other changes. Advisable is up to you really. I have utilized that 600w unit in some low power builds and had good service from them. Once they were put to work they showed their weakness.
How did they show their "weakness"? Did the pc just power off?

Reactions: punkncat

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
If you're comfortable using your current PSU then do so. It is a relatively poor quality model. The options you listed are a little better, but not a lot. Of the listed models I'd choose the Corsair or the EVGA BR. The Corsair has a larger capacity and won't work very hard with your listed specs and may be the best choice. I wouldn't recommend anything from Thermaltake or Cooler Master except their over-priced top tier units.
Got it, but do you think it is worth it actually upgrading to that? Considering it'll take a good bite off my budget, if the corsair is not great either, and both are around the same price range, would you do it?

The fact that the W1 is low quality and yours is out of warranty, I'd replace it before upgrading. Consider the fact that the power supply is the most important component of the system and make your decision. Also consider that when making any major system upgrade the power supply should be the first thing you look at.

Last edited:
Solution

guayabo

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
Yeah i just found this post complaining about the CV650 on reddit, and it seems that it wasnt just 1 isolated case, so probably going for the EVGA 500 bronze then