Do I have to use CV-150F for Canon XL1s?

I have a Canon XL1s and when I connect it through firewire to my
computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. I have a generic firewire
cable. Do I have to have the Canon Firewire Cable CV-150F or should a
generic one work? I'm just trying to figure out if the card is bad or
if it's the cable. Thanks.

Mike Kujbida wrote:
> Ded wrote:
> > I have a Canon XL1s and when I connect it through firewire to my
> > computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. I have a generic
> > firewire cable. Do I have to have the Canon Firewire Cable CV-150F
> > or should a generic one work? I'm just trying to figure out if the
> > card is bad or if it's the cable. Thanks.
>

> I'd start with the cable. Don't waste your money on the Canon cable.
> generic one is just fine. Also, try it on another computer if you
can to
> confirm that it's not the camera that's at fault.
>
> Mike

Thanks, I really appreciate that info!

-Dedrick

Ded wrote:
> I have a Canon XL1s and when I connect it through firewire to my
> computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. I have a generic
> firewire cable. Do I have to have the Canon Firewire Cable CV-150F
> or should a generic one work? I'm just trying to figure out if the
> card is bad or if it's the cable. Thanks.

I'd start with the cable. Don't waste your money on the Canon cable. A