Question Do I Have to Use the UEFI version Of Windows 10

jalinvul

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
As title, my system is slow as hell after I reinstalled windows 64 pro. It was meant to be installed on my M.2 storage but it does not show in the boot menu.

Asus Prime x299 deluxe

i7 7800x

2x1080ti's

3xssd 280gb

M.2 1tb forgot make

Any ideas or will it need a new install of windows 10?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Disconnect the other SSD drives. When you install OS the best thing you can do is have ONLY the destination drive (for the OS) hooked up, plus either the USB or DVD you are using to load the system.

You have left the UEFI system, which does not have a lot of brains, too many choices. When you get into UEFI slip the M.2 drive into first place for booting, which should not be hard. Your USB stick will then be in second place.

Once you reconnect the other SSDs (after you've gotten the system up and running) you can go and inspect the boot order again and decide what to do.

Unlike past BIOS arrangements where you could put in a lot of boot options (say five or six) I think you are limited now to three.

Greg N

There are two types of m.2 ssds, PCIe (NVMe) and sata. If your ssd is sata than you do not need NVMe, so it is very important to know what kind of m.2 ssd you have. The best choice to configure your m.2 drive is CSM, but sometimes choosing one or the other works better. Further, your MB has 2 M.2 slots, one that lays flat and one that stands up. but only one supports sata, which is the one that stands up.

From the MB Manual.

boot4.jpg

If you have not done so already you should read the part of the manual dealing with m.2 ssds. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...DELUXE/E13088_PRIME_X299-DELUXE_UM_V2_WEB.pdf In regards to M.2 slots look at pages 1-2 and 1-26.

Last edited:
Reactions: gn842a