Do I have wireless internet? :facepalm:

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
I know how dumb this sounds, even though I'm a experienced user with Windows I can't seem to find, if I HAVE WIRELESS CONNECTION! Sad, I know. This is my mob w/ onboard 1 GB LAN, is that wireless? Lol. Also under windows it says "Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit" under Network Connection properties. When I unplug my ethernet cable, I can't connect to internet. If I do have wireless, you guys know how i activate it? :p Thanks guyS!

scottiemedic

Distinguished
If you open Device Manager and look in Network Adapters does it list more than your LAN (Which is NOT your wireless). If there is nothing else there, look for yellow exclamations or Other Hardware and see if you just don't have drivers loaded for a device.

D

Deleted member 217926

Do you have a wireless router? Did you install a wireless card when you built your computer or do you have a laptop with built in wireless? If you answered yes to both then you should have wireless internet.

Seriously you lose your geek card for this one. :lol:

+ 1 you need a wireless router or modem to transmit the signal for your computer when fitted with a wireless receiver to run correctly.
just throwing in a receiver wont do it if your modem doesnt have a wireless router.
chances are if you dont know you dont.have.it

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
NO! I can't lose my geek-ness for just that. Come on, was it too much to consider that a 220$ motherboard had a wireless chipset included? I am still a nerd am only 14 so I obviously make mere mistakes. Lol I got so mad over that HA!!

D

Deleted member 217926

Actually your question is not as dumb as it sounds. Your board does have onboard Bluetooth and some motherboards do come with wireless built in. Yours is not one of them however.

Boards that do have WiFi usually have it somewhere in their model name and have an antenna as part of the rear ports. If you look at the picture of this board, the gold colored round connectors at the top of the board are to plug in an antenna.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67I_DELUXE/