Do I keep the GTX 285 (christmas gift)

Josh5890

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Merry Christmas everyone. I was very supprised today with new parts for a PC I was planning on building. One of the components I got was a GTX 285. I'm wondering if I should keep it or whether I should switch it up to a graphics card that supports DirectX 11 since I've heard alot about the DirectX 11 potential. Any advice is always appreciated.

Oh yea here is the rest of the bunch...

ASUSM4A79T
1 TB HDD
750 Watt PSU
GTX 285
AMD Phenom II x4 965
2x2GB DDR3
Windows 7
21" ASUS Monitor (very nice )

I say keep it for now. The only two DX11 games right now are Dirt2 and Battleforge (with a patch). It's true that the 5850 is faster and cheaper, not to mention the fact that you have a crossfire board rather than an SLI board. If you had bought it yourself then yeah I would say trade it for a 5850, but don't be a punk, it was a Christmas gift.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
It depends on how long you plan to keep the card. If this is a long-term option you might try to weasel out of it-- if not the GTX 285 is pretty sweet for now.

(My advice for weaseling out of it is to convince them that you know of a better deal for the money than they got--and that you want you gift to be the best value for the amount they spent.)

It depends on who gave you the gift and if they know much about the hardware they bought. If you think you will offend them by making the switch I would keep it. You are out nothing and have a very powerful video card that will last you 3-4 years easy.

Everyone is different and you know them better than any of us. You know deep down what you should do... ;)

Josh5890

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
think I'll just stick with the GTX 285 then. It is still one of the best out there. The person that bought me this really tried to get me this stuff. The only thing that bothers me is the difference between the DirectX10 and Directx11 thing. But just out of curiostiy, does my set-up look promising gaming-wise for the long haul? I wish I could say I was an expert with this but I hardly am in the PC hardware department.

Your hardware is a good match up and it will last 3-4 years easy depending on if you are the type that has to get the max res that you hear everyone else is getting on new game releases. If you can stand to drop down some settings here and there you will be happy with this setup for a time to come. You may even want to keep it as a spare rig or an htpc system at upgrade time...