Question Do i lose anything when using second router like main ?

hero355

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017
Hey there, in recently i have upgraded my ADSL internet to GPON internet. The modem that broadband gave me I didn't like. So i turned of wifi on it and connected my router via Ethernet port and configured everything on it. So my question is in this way if i'm losing any benefit from my main GPON modem?

It all depends on why you did not like the ISP router. Many newer ISP routers have very advanced wifi that is as good as the best consumer routers.
The thing ISP routers tend to be lacking on is if you want say VPN or maybe a very fancy firewall. Most people do not want/need these features so ISP routers do not have them. It makes it easier to not confuse people who just want a simple internet connection that works with little configuration.

The only real downside to have 2 routers in the path is if you do something like host servers where you need port forwarding. Again a feature the vast majority of people do not need.

So you can just leave both act as routers like you have and there is no real performance issue. Makes troubleshooting a bit harder but in general you will not even be able to tell.

There are 2 other ways to run this so you only have 1 router and again it depends on why exactly you do not like the ISP router. You can likely set the ISP router to run only as a modem or bridge. This gets rid of the second nat and port forwarding issue. The other way is to set your other router to run as a AP. When you do this you use the ISP router as the router and the second router pretty much as way to provide the wifi. In effect you have replaced the wifi radios with your second routers radios and have connected the radios to the ISP router with a ethernet cable rather than it being connected via a internal cable inside the ISP router.

Reactions: hero355

hero355

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017
that's because the modem that isp gave has bad wifi signal and speed drops and not have some features like vpn or etc. and also it gets too much hot