Question Do I need 1000w PSU or will 850w suffice?

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
So this is my expected build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zgTMrD

The recommendation from PC Part picker is ~700w. So I figured 850w would be safe however ASRock recommends on their page for the GPU, a minimum 1000w power supply.

Other brands of the 6900XT Recommend 850w.

Will I g et away with 850 or is it a bad idea?

Oct 26, 2022
I would recommend the larger unit.
Not only to have the extra headroom just in case, but also PSUs run more efficiently when not at or near max load.
PSUs work better on half of it's total power, but usually, GPUs manufacturers recommend the PSU to all system, it don't means the GPU uses all that power, but all the PC, but the matter is there are many PCs variations.

Hey there,

You have a strong system. The heart of that system is your PSU. Do not cheap out, and do not get less than a min of recommended spec.

The 6900XT has big transient power spikes (not as bad as Nvidia cards).

Whilst your system may not sip more that 550w-600w average the power spikes can push past 500w alone for the GPU. These spikes last only a few milliseconds, but can trip over protections on a PSU, causing the systme to restart.

What PSU areyou using?

You really need at least a Gold rate unit made with quality parts. I'd suggest a Corsair RMX 850w as a good starting point. If you have an OC 6900XT, then going with 1000w will give you the headroom in case you want to upgrade to higher cards with the next gen.

Edit: Can you change the ram? CL 20 is pretty slow in terms of DDR4, there are CL16/14 which will have much lower latency which might optimize performance.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
Hey there,

You have a strong system. The heart of that system is your PSU. Do not cheap out, and do not get less than a min of recommended spec.

Whilst your system may not sip more that 550w-600w average the power spikes can push past 500w alone for the GPU. These spikes last only a few milliseconds, but can trip over protections on a PSU, causing the systme to restart.

What PSU ar eyou using?

You really need at least a Gold rate unit made with quality parts. I'd suggest a Corsair RMX 850w as a good starting point. If you have an OC 6900XT, then going with 1000w will give you the headroom in case you want to upgrade to higher cards with the next gen.
Yeah, it's a minefield when we don't really know the all power the system sips, the manufacturer recommend an PSU to all system, but we don't know their system reference to use with the GPU.
This is why is better take the more powerful we can.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Hey there,

What PSU areyou using?

Edit: Can you change the ram? CL 20 is pretty slow in terms of DDR4, there are CL16/14 which will have much lower latency which might optimize performance.

So the ram is actually CL18 it comes up as 20 on pc parts picker.

There is no CL16 or better in the 3600 speed DDR4, as per PC parts picker. 3200 speed RAM is where the CL16 begins. Im just reading numbers I don't actually know whats what...

I do not know what PSU to use, there is so many options and im trying my best to read reviews without spending $300 on a PSU.

This ROG 1000w looks promising bang for buk but I greatly dislike the red stripe on it as silly as that is.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X7BKLWS?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Most reviewed, EVGA 1000w Gold
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7G...fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g5-1000-x1

Corsair RM 1000x Gold is probably tried and true as well, for more money.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R5PH1VY?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

NZXT also promising, middle ground on price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YZ33Z46?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Gigabyte is actually on sale for $130
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gp-ud1000gm-1000-w/p/N82E16817233035?Item=N82E16817233035&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-y0UNPINwO8pMYHJ14AZd1g

I really dont know which brand here makes a good PSU though.

Last edited:
This what I'd go for:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.95 @ B&H)
Total: $189.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-26 16:38 EDT-0400

There is no CL16 or better in the 3600 speed DDR4, as per PC parts picker. 3200 speed RAM is where the CL16 begins. Im just reading numbers I don't actually know whats what...

Well, there is, but not in 2 x 32gb. Why do you need 64gbs of ram? I'd rather 2 x 16 CL14/16. If only for gaming, you do not need 64gbs. Complete overkill.

By getting the 2 x 16gb kit, you then have enough money to get a better system drive. The SN570 is just a middling SSD. You should be looking for an SN770 or SN850. Will help with game loading times, and as long as it's at least 1TB it will work with direct storage once that releases, and you will really feel the benfit with your GPU.

Reactions: Why_Me

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
This what I'd go for:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.95 @ B&H)
Total: $189.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-26 16:38 EDT-0400

Well, there is, but not in 2 x 32gb. Why do you need 64gbs of ram? I'd rather 2 x 16 CL14/16. If only for gaming, you do not need 64gbs. Complete overkill.

By getting the 2 x 16gb kit, you then have enough money to get a better system drive. The SN570 is just a middling SSD. You should be looking for an SN770 or SN850. Will help with game loading times, and as long as it's at least 1TB it will work with direct storage once that releases, and you will really feel the benfit with your GPU.

I was actually about to make a post asking if 64gb of DDR4 was stupid over 32gb of DDR5.

Also if I should have 4 sticks or 2.

(obviously DDR5 would mean switching to a z790 board I assume)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 6900xt as measured by igor's lab has transient spikes that'll hit 450-500w on occasion. The 13700k stock will hit @ 250w. You need another 100w for everything else.

So a good quality 850w is plenty for a stock, non-overclocked or power limited system. That said, the moment you opt for any OC whatsoever, you'll be wanting the 1000w RMx or preferably a HXi (Platinum rated). The difference at that level of power consumption is like leaving the lights on in several rooms, for the entire time you are gaming.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
So I have narrowed it down to the Corsair RM 1000x or RM1000e.

It seems like although the E model is newer and more compact, it has lesser components than the larger X varient?

They're essentially the same price at $179 for the E and $189 for the X

Also looks like you can buy a refurb RM 1000X for $145 however it has a 90 day warranty, does not seem worth it as compared to 10 years for a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-RM10...&sprefix=corsair+rm1000,electronics,65&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM85...fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1

Also looks like you can buy a refurb RM 1000X for $145 however it has a 90 day warranty, does not seem worth it as compared to 10 years for a new one.

No, I'd never take a second hand PSU, even a refurbed one. Certainly not with 90 days v 10 years new, for 40 bucks more. Not worth it.

Can't find very much on the RMe. Seems solid from specs, but no review on it. From that point of view, I'd go with tried and trusted RMx. They are so close in pricing, but you know what you'll get with the RMx. It's quality.

Last edited:
I was actually about to make a post asking if 64gb of DDR4 was stupid over 32gb of DDR5.

Also if I should have 4 sticks or 2.

(obviously DDR5 would mean switching to a z790 board I assume)
2 x 16gb singl rank mem is best solution. If you populate all 4 DIMM slots, you may have reduced frequency.

Here's a list of some good modules and speeds to consider: Best RAM for Intel Core i7-13700K in 2022 - Tech Edged This is DDR5

All of them have lifetime warranties, so that may come on handy at some point.

For DDR4 , your mobo supports lots of options up to DDR4 5333mhz. No I'm not saying buy those (they will be expensive), but you could easily push up to 4000+mhz for a bit more bandwidth. Your CPU IMC swhould be okay for that.

Last edited:

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
2 x 16gb singl rank mem is best solution. If you populate all 4 DIMM slots, you may have reduced frequency.

Here's a list of some good modules and speeds to consider: Best RAM for Intel Core i7-13700K in 2022 - Tech Edged This is DDR5

All of them have lifetime warranties, so that may come on handy at some point.

For DDR4 , your mobo supports lots of options up to DDR4 5333mhz. No I'm not saying buy those (they will be expensive), but you could easily push up to 4000+mhz for a bit more bandwidth. Your CPU IMC swhould be okay for that.

I couldn't be more lost on what do for CPU, board and DDR4 or DDR5.

I've ordered every other part of the build already. Including the 1000x now.

I couldn't be more lost on what do for CPU, board and DDR4 or DDR5.

I've ordered every other part of the build already. Including the 1000x now.

Okay, so, so quality PSU out of the way.

What exactly is bothering you about the build? It's pretty solid apart from personal prefererences. Buyers remorse? FOMO?

I guess, we haven't actually asked you very much about what you want your system to do.
Is it purely gaming? If so, what res, and what are your desired settings and frame rate? Are you doing any rendering? Audio work? Being as specific as you can will help us, help you save some money.

In terms of DDR support. That's an interesting one. On one hand do you go with last gen mobo's (DDR4) and go with 12/13th gen CPU, you have a relatively cheap upgrade path, only limited by DDR4. To upgrade from that you need a new mobo/ram. Or, you go with a ddr5 mobo and ram (which will cost more initially), but give you some upgrade options down the line (but with that said still limited to 12th/13th Gen CPU's). Bit of a conundrum.

What about Ryzen? Although initial set up costs for AM5/Zen 4 are on the high side, the ecosystem may very well last longer than Intel. AM4 lasted for 5 years! Awesome support, with a continour upgrade path for 4 gens of CPU.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Okay, so, so quality PSU out of the way.

What exactly is bothering you about the build? It's pretty solid apart from personal prefererences. Buyers remorse? FOMO?

I guess, we haven't actually asked you very much about what you want your system to do.
Is it purely gaming? If so, what res, and what are your desired settings and frame rate? Are you doing any rendering? Audio work? Being as specific as you can will help us, help you save some money.

In terms of DDR support. That's an interesting one. On one hand do you go with last gen mobo's (DDR4) and go with 12/13th gen CPU, you have a relatively cheap upgrade path, only limited by DDR4. To upgrade from that you need a new mobo/ram. Or, you go with a ddr5 mobo and ram (which will cost more initially), but give you some upgrade options down the line (but with that said still limited to 12th/13th Gen CPU's). Bit of a conundrum.

What about Ryzen? Although initial set up costs for AM5/Zen 4 are on the high side, the ecosystem may very well last longer than Intel. AM4 lasted for 5 years! Awesome support, with a continour upgrade path for 4 gens of CPU.

honestly its just overwhelming the degree of options.

I surely do not NEED the new i7, but for $100, I dont see a reason to buy the "lesser" i5, which I was told is already 15% more powerful than the 12th gen i7.

I use the machine for gaming and business use for CAD modeling, a program called fusion 360.

The modeling is weird because even my current machine blows away the "recommended" specs for the software but when you actually use it, and start working on a model that may have 10s of thousands of reference points, you can bring your machine to its knees real quick. So I would rather grossly overpower a new machine in the interest of increasing my workflow and preventing me from losing my <Mod Edit> punching the wall when it freezes up.

My current machine is a z390 board, 32g of ram, core i7 8700 coffee lake, Radeon vega 64 8gb GPU. It ran me about $1000, and served its dues for 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing on the RMe as of yet, but since it's claim is super quiet and has a 120mm fan, I'd assume it's a revamp of the RM. If it's a RMx replacement, the advertising would be all over that, as solid and popular the RMx is. Most ppl overlook the RM/TXM and you'll see lots of CX - RMx instead, so an RMe would make sense in the middle.

Nothing on the RMe as of yet, but since it's claim is super quiet and has a 120mm fan, I'd assume it's a revamp of the RM. If it's a RMx replacement, the advertising would be all over that, as solid and popular the RMx is. Most ppl overlook the RM/TXM and you'll see lots of CX - RMx instead, so an RMe would make sense in the middle.

Yeah, I think you're right on where this model fits. The RMe seems ot have a 7 year warranty. The RMx 10 years, with the RM only 5 years

The RM has a rifle bearing fan, the RMx a mag-lev bearing fan. I'm not sure which is better, I understand the mag-lev lasts longer, which ties into the warranty. The RMe is also rifle bearing fan. They all (RM/RMe/RMx have low load silent running.)

To me it sems like:

RMx>RMe>RM

honestly its just overwhelming the degree of options.

I surely do not NEED the new i7, but for $100, I dont see a reason to buy the "lesser" i5, which I was told is already 15% more powerful than the 12th gen i7.

I use the machine for gaming and business use for CAD modeling, a program called fusion 360.

The modeling is weird because even my current machine blows away the "recommended" specs for the software but when you actually use it, and start working on a model that may have 10s of thousands of reference points, you can bring your machine to its knees real quick. So I would rather grossly overpower a new machine in the interest of increasing my workflow and preventing me from losing my <Mod Edit> punching the wall when it freezes up.

My current machine is a z390 board, 32g of ram, core i7 8700 coffee lake, Radeon vega 64 8gb GPU. It ran me about $1000, and served its dues for 4 years.

In this case, I think you are already pretty close to what you want. The 13700k bring you a serious amount of performance. With 16 cores and 24 threads it's capable of taking on most tasks with ease. The jump in terms of your current system will be substantial. Both for gaming and any other tasks you throw at it.

Looking at the Fusion blogs, it would appear there isn't much point in having more than 8 cores for any one piece of work. It suggests higher clocks make a difference. The 13700k will give you that.

On the mem though, I've seen a lot of posters saying that 32gbs isn't enough! But, what's also clear is that the software itself is poorly optimized and can cause lag with 8/6/32/64gbs. Is it an older program? Prob not designed to take advantage of modern CPU's and their ever increeasing L2/L3 cache sizes.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
In this case, I think you are already pretty close to what you want. The 13700k bring you a serious amount of performance. With 16 cores and 24 threads it's capable of taking on most tasks with ease. The jump in terms of your current system will be substantial. Both for gaming and any other tasks you throw at it.

Looking at the Fusion blogs, it would appear there isn't much point in having more than 8 cores for any one piece of work. It suggests higher clocks make a difference. The 13700k will give you that.

On the mem though, I've seen a lot of posters saying that 32gbs isn't enough! But, what's also clear is that the software itself is poorly optimized and can cause lag with 8/6/32/64gbs. Is it an older program? Prob not designed to take advantage of modern CPU's and their ever increeasing L2/L3 cache sizes.

A big issue people have with Fusion is like the direction all things are trying to go, its a cloud based software. So it requires both a solid connection and a capable machine simultaneously. I believe it has a temporary offline mode but i have never used it.

And to my understanding it uses only one core. So having a faster core essentially is the key to success. Mind you I have no idea how cores etc actually work...

If I get 32gb of ram for now however, the option to spend $180 and instantly double it is always there.

It is funny though how AutoDesk advertises fusion as having relatively low system requirements however that ends at basic 2d sketches and very basic 3D objects. Once you go down the path of adding things like a bolt with a modeled thread on it you're adding thousands of points that have to be renderered constantly in real time every time you navigate around the model.

Okay, that's interesting.

You could get 32gb now, and add more later, but most on here would advise not to do that, as compatibillity could be an issue. If you buy a 2 x 16gb matched kit, and then buy the same kit down the line, you could have issues. Although the packs may be identical, clockspeeds, timings/voltage etc, they are built on different silicon (this is often the case further down the line).

Now, I'm thinking buying a full 4 x 16 kit (edit: or 2 x 32gb) is the way to go.

You could always go with 32gb now, then get a a 64gb kits down the line, but selling your 32gb kit to offset the cost. Not exactly clean, I know, but an option nonetheless.

Last edited:

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Okay, that's interesting.

You could get 32gb now, and add more later, but most on here would advise not to do that, as compatibillity could be an issue. If you buy a 2 x 16gb matched kit, and then buy the same kit down the line, you could have issues. Although the packs may be identical, clockspeeds, timings/voltage etc, they are built on different silicon (this is often the case further down the line).

Now, I'm thinking buying a full 4 x 16 kit is the way to go.

You could always go with 32gb now, then get a a 64gb kits down the line, but selling your 32gb kit to offset the cost. Not exactly clean, I know, but an option nonetheless.

That was another question that seems complex to answer.

Is 4x16 superior or inferior, to 2x32? Aside from 4 RGB sticks may look cool.

Fusion is actually $500 annual fee too. For being fairly poorly optimized. Other main competitors in its class are thousands of dollars.

I'd go with 2 x 32gb. Less issues with compatiblity, and less likely to have to have lower speeds than advertised. This sometimes happens with 4 x kits.

Jeez, that's a fair cost. You'd think they'd optimize it more for modern systems, for customers sake! Using more cores seems like a gerat solution to the number of added points in your modeling. I don't get it!

Sav4

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
So I have narrowed it down to the Corsair RM 1000x or RM1000e.

It seems like although the E model is newer and more compact, it has lesser components than the larger X varient?

They're essentially the same price at $179 for the E and $189 for the X

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-RM1000x-Fully-Modular-Supply/dp/B08R5PH1VY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1L1DR4V622F8C&keywords=corsair+rm1000&qid=1666869931&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjMzIiwicXNhIjoiMS4zMyIsInFzcCI6IjEuMDYifQ==&s=electronics&sprefix=corsair+rm1000,electronics,65&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM850-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B0B7237XFJ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QMPBXGOPJ95X&keywords=corsair+rm+1000e&qid=1666870020&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjM4IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sprefix=corsair+rm+1000e,aps,68&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&th=1
I would go the RM1000x over the E . Another option is the hx1000
https://www.custompcguide.net/the-differences-between-all-corsair-power-supply-units/ some info on corsair psu