Question do i need 2 fans on a gaming case ?

wachon1992

Honorable
Aug 12, 2016
So im building a pc for my brother wich has some problems in his ear and some sounds pc make are really annoying for him.
i opted for a ryzen 5 5600g wich has integrated gpu so there is 1 less fan spinning in the build. i was wondering if its fine to have a case with just 1 fan to take heat out instead of 2 since there wont be a gpu in the build and i was thinking there would be less heat ( maybe im wrong ).
trying to make the build make the less sound i can for cheap since i cant afford more atm.

Depends on your temps after you finish and test it out.

5600g system shouldn't be particularly tough to cool.

Some fans a lot noisier than others. Choose carefully.

Try to use 140 mm fans if they will fit. Try to spin them at 1000 rpm or lower.

Fan speed makes a lot of difference...under 1000 rpm can be almost silent.

Some cases much easier to cool than others. Choose carefully.

Try just one and evaluate for a few minutes doing normal tasks. Maybe intake at front. Maybe exhaust at back.

My CPU idle temps move up about 15 degrees with NO case fans. From about 35 to about 50. I could get along without case fans.

What is the main use for the pc you are building?
The title suggests gaming.
What is the make/model of the parts you already have or are thinking of?
What is your budget?

The cooling you need is determined by the heat your components generate.
To make a 5600G system virtually silent, I would do four things:

a) Replace the 5600G stock cooler with a large tower type cooler with a 140mm fan.

b) Install a single 140mm front intake fan in your case to feed the cooler.
A 140mm fan running at 700 rpm will be inaudible.

c) Use a psu that is much stronger than you need so that the psu fan will not normally run.

d) Use only a ssd so HDD mechanical noise is eliminated.

As an alternative, plan on using a high quality noise cancelling headphone.

All that said, the graphics of a 5600G is not particularly strong compared to it's processing capability.
Likely ok for sims, strategy and mmo type games, but not for fast action games.
You probably should be looking at a pc with a dedicated graphics card.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
So im building a pc for my brother wich has some problems in his ear and some sounds pc make are really annoying for him.
i opted for a ryzen 5 5600g wich has integrated gpu so there is 1 less fan spinning in the build. i was wondering if its fine to have a case with just 1 fan to take heat out instead of 2 since there wont be a gpu in the build and i was thinking there would be less heat ( maybe im wrong ).
trying to make the build make the less sound i can for cheap since i cant afford more atm.

What are the rest of the system specs you are intending to use? That can also affect case choice.