Question Do I need 32gb of RAM?

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
I play many games that recommend 16gb of ram or more. On any regular day, I also have 60-100 tabs open, as well as some other programs, which eats up about 8-12gb of ram. I’m just wondering if I need to buy 32gb of ram to play my games smoothly, or if 16 is enough.

16GB most likely is enough.
Monitor Commited Memory value in Task Manager - that will tell you max amount of memory (ram+virtual), that ever is being used.

memory-performance-taskmanager.jpg

Reactions: Demeter12

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Thx, I was just wondering if the 16gb recommended system requirement meant that the game took up 16gb of ram, or if your system should have 16gb including all other background programs.

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Do you need 32GB?
Depends.

Are you actually running out at 16GB?
If not, then the extra RAM is just sitting there, doing nothing.

I have 32GB, but actually use it. Frequently over 20GB in use, from having multiple VM's running.
I won’t run out at 16gb if I close my browsers before gaming, but I kinda don’t want to do that (reopening all the tabs I need can be a but of a pain).

Are you currently approaching or at your 16 GB's capacity? If so, or if you see the system hitting the paging file often, you need more.

I've hit the point where I have started using >16 GB pretty frequently. Games, Python development, and lots of Chrome tabs/apps in the background chew it up pretty quickly.

RAM is cheap these days fortunately. 2 years ago, it was super expensive.

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Yes, unfortunately I am. Do you people think 32gb is worth the money, or should I just deal with the pain of closing and reopening tabs before and after gaming...?