Question Do I need 32GB of RAM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2018
My current system is an i7-8700 + GTX1070 with 2 x 8GB of RAM. Should I upgrade and add 2 sticks of 8gb rams? I use my rig for 60 fps single player or moba gaming sometimes, Adobe apps (photoshop, illustrator and premiere), Netflix, Youtube, Microsoft Office Apps and Internet browsing. Thanks.

Specs:
i7-8700
MSI B365M Mag Mortar
Team Group 2x8GB 2666Mhz
Gigabyte GTX 1070
512GB Kingston s2000 NVME
Seasonic M12 620W Bronze Rated
3x3.5" HDD (8TB)

How often (if ever) do you ever say "dang, this thing is slow" and what are you doing at that moment?

Raw CPU horsepower is still the best solution for most "too slow" issues unless you don't have an SSD at all....but you do.

I see you are still using 3 hard drives. They might play into any "slowness" you feel, depending on how they are used.

Unless you have uncommon circumstances, I'd probably lower my expectations on perceived improvement by going from 16 to 32.

Maybe spend that money on more SSDs or better power supply or toss it into a pot towards a total system overhaul of your possibly 5 year old setup?

It's possible that a new 2 x 8 RAM kit won't play nice with your existing 2 x 8.

Having used 32GB for a while I would have 32 for your system and use case. There are exceptions but I wouldn't expect any improvement in games unless you happen to have a lot open while your playing them. It will help with multi-tasking though and should be beneficial in premiere if your doing anything significant.

As @Lafong suggests sometimes mixing two kits of RAM doesn't work well. However given your on an Intel build and your RAM is only 2666Mhz, I would say your highly unlikely to run into issues. So I would just buy another of the same kit you have now, you can always return it if it doesn't work.

Photoshop may benefit from more ram.
Look in task manager/resource monitor /memory tab/hard page fault column.
If you see anything north of zero, you can benefit from more ram.
A hard fault happens when you need a page that is not resident in ram and windows needs to bring it in from the page file.
an expensive process.

Status
Not open for further replies.