Question Do I need 4 same RAM sticks for 4 slot motherboard or can I do 2 separate and 2 separate RAM?

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
Hello everyone. Title ^

If didn't understand: I want to purchase 2 sticks of 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM right now. And let's say that 2 sticks of RAM is by Corsair. And later if I want to buy 2 another sticks of 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, would I need to buy same Corsair ones or can I buy from other brands?

Dec 31, 2021
You can do two for now. Just read the manual. Your two sticks would go in slots 1&3 or 2&4 typically.
Yes I would make sure you have the same RAM when you get more. I had 16GB for the past two years and just got another 16GB last week. Made sure to order the same memory.

Reactions: Shalou

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Technically speaking, you should be able to mix & match ram from various mfgr's, however, in real world usage, it's almost always best to stick with one brand and also make 100% certain that all sticks have the same specs, speeds, IC's etc...

Just do your research before buying additional sticks to be certain they are the same as your current ones :)

There is some free software out there that will give you all the specifics you need to make a perfect match, but I can't recall it's name at the moment :)

Worst case scenario if you can't find a matching set is to buy 4 new sticks and then sell your old ones to get back some of your $$ !

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello everyone. Title ^

If didn't understand: I want to purchase 2 sticks of 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM right now. And let's say that 2 sticks of RAM is by Corsair. And later if I want to buy 2 another sticks of 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, would I need to buy same Corsair ones or can I buy from other brands?
Any time you add more memory from another set it might work and might not work anybody that says different has no experience.

Even adding the so called exact memory can be made from different parts.