Question Do I need 4 sticks to boot?

Dec 22, 2020
I bought 8gb of hyperx ddr4 ram (HX424C15FBK2/8) and my pc wont boot, the seller says I need all 4 slots filled with the same ram for it to work and wont refund me, any help? is ths true? or is he scamming?

USAFRet

Titan
I bought 8gb of hyperx ddr4 ram (HX424C15FBK2/8) and my pc wont boot, the seller says I need all 4 slots filled with the same ram for it to work and wont refund me, any help? is ths true? or is he scamming?
Is this a set of 4, or are you adding to what you already have?

But no, a system does NOT need all 4 sticks to boot up.

Mixing RAM, however....may not work.

So, what exactly did you buy?
What motherboard?

Reactions: Joceeeeeeeee
Dec 22, 2020
Is this a set of 4, or are you adding to what you already have?

But no, a system does NOT need all 4 sticks to boot up.

Mixing RAM, however....may not work.

So, what exactly did you buy?
What motherboard?
I have an ASUS TUF b360-pro gaming motherboard, my issue is ive bought the cpu (i5 8500) mobo and this ram all together so I cant determine what is broken, (MOBO from laptopsdirect, RAM from Ebay and CPU from CEX) my motherboard lights up when connected but wont boot.

The ram is a set of 2 sticks, I tried each stick in all 4 slots individually as it should work with just 1 surely, no other RAM is installed, but I'll have to return both CPU and RAM as I can't tell which is broken, just looking for validation that I don't need all 4 sticks so I can hopefully sway ebay to refund me! (also thankyou for replying, I'm bad for panicking in instances like this haha :))