[SOLVED] Do I need a 1000w PSU?

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Hey guys I'm being offered a brand new 1000w FSP Hydro G Pro for around 145.27USD... I was looking into buying a good PSU for safety and peace of mind and I found out that this PSU is has good quality build.
Do I need this? Or should I buy a Seasonic FOCUS GX-750 750w PSU for 124.90USD?
My current build is Ryzen 7 2700 with a 1070ti, but I'm planning to upgrade to a 3000 series GPU in the future maybe the 3070 at best.
Is the 20$ difference worth it to buy the 1000w PSU? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Solution
The trend in pc components is to more efficient products.
Today, there is nothing that a quality 750w psu can't run, and that is likely to be the case into the future.
Both products are excellent quality with 10 year warranties.
You can't go wrong with either.
A psu will only draw the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability. An overly strong unit will loaf a bit and take it out of it's most efficient range.

I don't know what to tell you. Worth is something only YOU can determine.

Sometimes, the 850w version of the seasonic is actually cheaper, look into that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
I would get the Seasonic, it is likely better over all than the FSP. you don't need a 1000 for a 3070, recommendations are a 650watt but having more is always good. the 750 can go above 750 if need be. It is all you need I expect.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fsp-hydro-g-pro-850w-power-supply,6228.html appears it has loud fans

You can't go wrong with a Seasonic PSU.
How about for a 3080 or 3090 then? Was kinda just looking for the best value for money PSU I can get... Highly appreciate the response, by the way.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't predict future so I don't know what the newer cards might want but
Here is our power supply recommendation:
  • GeForce RTX 3070 - On your average system we recommend a 550 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce RTX 3080 - On your average system we recommend a 650 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce RTX 3090 - On your average system we recommend a 750 Watt power supply unit.

So maybe that Seasonic is still all you need.

The trend in pc components is to more efficient products.
Today, there is nothing that a quality 750w psu can't run, and that is likely to be the case into the future.
Both products are excellent quality with 10 year warranties.
You can't go wrong with either.
A psu will only draw the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability. An overly strong unit will loaf a bit and take it out of it's most efficient range.

I don't know what to tell you. Worth is something only YOU can determine.

Sometimes, the 850w version of the seasonic is actually cheaper, look into that.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS