Do i need a 4 pin splitter?

Jul 29, 2018
Hello,

Im about to buy 7 fans on AliExpress to replace my earraping 4 fans. So in total i have 8 fans including my cpu fan. Im buying fans that give a red led ring. But i haven't come to a solution of how many splitter i have to buy and do i actually have to buy a splitter. The other 3 fans will be attached to the top of my case. It are 120 mm fans though. The fans have a 3 pin connecter and a molex. Ive heard that molex just sucks in some ways so i want it in my motherboard.

These are my Asrock z270 k4 motherboard fan and voltage specs
- 1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin) 1A
- 2 x Chassis Fan Connectors (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control) 1.5A
- 1 x Chassis Optional/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)

Something i also have read, is that my 4 pin connecters on the motherboard can only handle 1A. It isn't listened how many 'A' the fans are, but most of them are something like 0.30A. So you can't put 4 fans in a one splitter, otherwise it was a risk you could damage your motherboard.

Do i need to buy a splitter of how many or like a y splitter on two 4 pins to prevent my motherboard is getting damaged?

Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
You should probably use a powered fan hub instead of that many passive splitter cables. A powered hub uses the power from an unused drive cable instead of taking power from the motherboard header. There are even some that use a motherboard header to control speed of the fans. These aren't too expensive either.

You should probably use a powered fan hub instead of that many passive splitter cables. A powered hub uses the power from an unused drive cable instead of taking power from the motherboard header. There are even some that use a motherboard header to control speed of the fans. These aren't too expensive either.

Solution