[SOLVED] Do I need a better power supply

Tomgoughh

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2017
Hello, I have recently bought a new GPU and CPU for my PC and wondering if my power supply is enough to properly run them as I am getting alot of buzzing sounds which im guessing is coil whine since i installed them.
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 Super
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS B450-F
RAM: 32gb 3200mhz DDR4 Ram
PSU: Corsair CX850m

Thanks!

Solution
You'd be better off waiting. That unit is no immediate threat to the health of the system(even if it does fail chances of it damaging something else is very low) and PSU prices and availability are extremely bad right now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on which CX850M you have. In 2017 it was revamped, so the old style with big block White/Green lettering was still easily found in stores at discounted pricing (or equitable prices for the shady stores).

That old style psu isn't all that good and would benefit from replacement as it's nearing/just past its warranty period, and everyone knows, objects always break the day after the warranty expires, never the day before.

The new black/silver revamp is much superior in design and even at 3 years old, doesn't need replacement at all. You can power a 2070 Super and Ryzen cpu from a decent 550w psu all day long. I'd not consider replacement a consideration until it hits the 6-7 year period with the current load.

The new black/silver revamp is much superior in design and even at 3 years old, doesn't need replacement at all. You can power a 2070 Super and Ryzen cpu from a decent 550w psu all day long. I'd not consider replacement a consideration until it hits the 6-7 year period with the current load.
Both PSUs are pretty similar internally and electrically, unlike the <650W CXs. Both of them are based on PUQ-B platform. The only change I believe was on the hold-up caps that were Japanese instead of those crap-Xons. Both are rated at 105C so probably not a big difference.

@Tomgoughh how bad is the whine? If you can live with it, live with it. It's not as crap as the lower wattage CXes, so if you're not having major problems you have no reason to immediately replace it.

If it is very hard to endure though, I'd suggest this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8J1973

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Japanese caps are just as susceptible. There's low quality Japanese caps and higher quality Japanese caps, it's all dependent on the grade of aluminium used. Both might be rated for 105°C, but that's a temp rating on the cap not a reliability or longetivity rating. The CapXon caps generally use the cheapest available grades of aluminium and have a far greater failure rate as a result. Rubicon and Nippon Chemi-con use a much higher grade of aluminium, which costs a lot more per unit, so generally aren't found in cheaper psus in much abundance whereas CapXon are.

Just swapping caps to a higher grade can very much improve outputs, lifespan etc, even if the basic platform layout is the same.

Take 2 identical cars, put good tires on one and bald tires on the other and see which one wrecks when it rains.

Tomgoughh

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2017
I wouldn't say the whine is awful tbh and if im wearing headphones i cant really hear it. I'll probably just live with it for the time being really and replace within the next year!
Thanks!