[SOLVED] Do i need a bigger power supply for my GPU?

Jan 17, 2020
I just bought and installed a nvidia geforce gtx 1660 into my computer, which on the box it said it requires a 450w psu as a minimum, and I have a 460w psu. Everytime i try to launch a game, (LoL, CSGO, Rocket-league etc...) my tower turns off and my monitor says no signal, and then it will turn itself back on and take me to the log in screen.

Do i just not have enough power for my graphics card, which is causing my pc to turn off because the graphics card is using up too much of the power supply? Do i just need to upgrade to something like 500W-750W?

I am a huge computer noob and just recently decided to get into PC building and caring more about the specs, before would just buy a prebuilt from the store.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6Ghz
24gb of RAM

Solution
Or if you want to prove the problem beyond a doubt before you buy the PSU upgrade you could spend $20 on a "Kill-a-watt" meter that would tell you how much you are drawing without the gpu and then look fast when trying it with the gpu to see how high it gets (if it stays on long enough).

Like a power bar, the meter provides a plugin and a plug so you can just plug and play. No installation :)

Tom (No relation)

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Yeah depending on the age and rating of your gpu, it might give way less power than needed at full load. I would recommend upgrading to a 600W Bronze or Gold. That should help it.

TLGalenson

Honorable
Nov 19, 2016
Or if you want to prove the problem beyond a doubt before you buy the PSU upgrade you could spend $20 on a "Kill-a-watt" meter that would tell you how much you are drawing without the gpu and then look fast when trying it with the gpu to see how high it gets (if it stays on long enough).

Like a power bar, the meter provides a plugin and a plug so you can just plug and play. No installation :)

Tom (No relation)

Solution

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020

Tom (No relation)
That's maybe a cheaper option, but it seems pretty clear to me that it probably is a PSU issue. But it always could be a faulty gpu.