[SOLVED] Do I need a bigger PSU?

Logan finch

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
I'm currently having an issue when playing some games where my PC screen goes black while making me need to press the restart button on my PC case, from what ive been told it could be my power supply

Here is my specs
PSU: 700W 80+
GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
2TB HDD with a 120gb SSD and a 500GB one
Motherboard: b450 tomahawk
RAM: 16GB

My question being could this cause my PSU to be failing or what could be causing such a crash

Solution
Ive had this issue aswell and looked into it,
One suggestion i found was that windows "focus assist" has been interferring with graphics cards, causing spikes and crashing.

To turn off " focus assist"
Windows - Settings - FocusAssist - off, and make sure you also turn off all the automactic rules,

See if this helps, let us know

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This could be a number of things and we'd need more info. It certainly could be the PSU, but to immediately jump to it in this case would not be warranted. Do you need more wattage? No. But it depends on the make and model of your PSU.
  • What specific make and model PSU is it?
  • What are you RAM models? Are they from the same pack?
  • Have you monitor GPU and CPU temperatures under load?
    Does this only ever happen in games? If so, all games or specific ones?
  • Do you have latest drivers installed (not using a driver updater app)?
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Have you changed anything else?

Logan finch

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
@PC Tailor

PSU Make and model being: Aero Cool i think thats all I can get
Both ram models the same
GPU temps go upto 82 max on games like Call of duty modern warfare and War thunder
Latest drivers all installed
I think I have latest BIOS not 100%
I have not changed anything

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Aero Cool i think thats all I can get
Well Aerocool are known for making a LOT of trash units. So unless it's an Aerocool Project 7, it's probably a problem.

Both ram models the same
And from the same physical pack? I.e. not bought from two separate packs?

GPU temps go upto 82 max
And CPU?

Does this only ever happen in games? If so, all games or specific ones?
Do you see anything appear in Event Viewer on your PC at the time of the cut outs?

Reactions: King_V

Logan finch

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
@PC Tailor

Too add on top of that MY psu would be coming up to around 4 to 5 years old and from when I was looking at my psu I doubt its a project 7 since no labels or writing to suggest on it

And yes same RAM our of same pack Vengence I think

And I first suggested this only happens in War thunder and call of duty as far as I am aware however I played call of duty for a good 5 hours yesterday and didn't do it once, yet it only does it in war thunder, and I am not also aware what event viewer is

Logan finch

Reputable
Apr 4, 2017
After looking though event viewer I found this (Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.)

After looking it up it seems very likely the issue as people have something similar happening, the only issue I have no is I have no idea what this means or how to fix, is it hardware related or?

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Ive had this issue aswell and looked into it,
One suggestion i found was that windows "focus assist" has been interferring with graphics cards, causing spikes and crashing.

To turn off " focus assist"
Windows - Settings - FocusAssist - off, and make sure you also turn off all the automactic rules,

See if this helps, let us know

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am not also aware what event viewer is
Event Viewer can be accessed by simply typing this into your start menu. I would recommend going through this: https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/ht...ndows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/

After looking though event viewer I found this (Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.)
I'll be honest, it's likely nothing. A lot of errors happen underneath the surface that the OS is clever enough to work through and put aside for you. You would need to post what the full text says as the above is just a very generic error message that doesn't mean anything in specific.

I also agree that the Aerocool PSU could likely be an issue, simply because most Aerocool PSUs are very poor quality.
Did you also cover CPU temps?

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Microsoft have broken some systems with their windows updates and fixes since may 2020, your not alone, many people are having this issue,
So blaming/buying new hardware is pointless.
Ive heard brand new systems and new components are also having this issue with a fresh windows 10 install.
I just wish microsoft fix this mess they caused.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I just wish microsoft fix this mess they caused.
Just my view, but my take on it is generally they have. If Microsoft software is the issue, we'd be talking millions across the world sharing the same issue, widespread. When most people have moved into W10 with no issue at all.

Windows is the most used OS in the world, which means it also attracts the mass majority of third party developers. It's down to those third party developers to make things suitable for the OS, not the other way round. It's the same as BSOD, many people STILL blame Microsoft for "buggy software" when in fact it's Microsoft in less than 1% of cases, and well over 75% of the time it can be third party developers releasing software that hasn't been effectively tested.

So blaming/buying new hardware is pointless.
That and this is a big jump to be honest. There is nothing to suggest that this is just a "Windows" issue - however is there somewhere else you can show that say everyone is having this same issue and it is a Windows problem (not being pedantic, I genuinely am curious to learn about it). Because this issue I've seen plenty of times be faulty RAM, faulty GPU, faulty PSU and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

dimtodim

Reputable
I'm currently having an issue when playing some games where my PC screen goes black while making me need to press the restart button on my PC case, from what ive been told it could be my power supply

Here is my specs
PSU: 700W 80+
GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
2TB HDD with a 120gb SSD and a 500GB one
Motherboard: b450 tomahawk
RAM: 16GB

My question being could this cause my PSU to be failing or what could be causing such a crash
u can check all on https://pcpartpicker.com/ see in top right corner voltage and multiply that number with 1.6 or 1.7 u will get optimum psu for your system

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Search the Forums here for BSOD, youll see tons of posts about the same issues,
You most likely will also see the same on the forums of the games you are playing.
Reddit also has alot of the same questions/problems

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/w...-and-more-what-to-do?region-switch=1602238104

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ioxn7d/cumulative_updates_september_8th_2020/

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Just my view, but my take on it is generally they have. If Microsoft software is the issue, we'd be talking millions across the world sharing the same issue, widespread. When most people have moved into W10 with no issue at all.

Windows is the most used OS in the world, which means it also attracts the mass majority of third party developers. It's down to those third party developers to make things suitable for the OS, not the other way round. It's the same as BSOD, many people STILL blame Microsoft for "buggy software" when in fact it's Microsoft in less than 1% of cases, and well over 75% of the time it can be third party developers releasing software that hasn't been effectively tested.

That and this is a big jump to be honest. There is nothing to suggest that this is just a "Windows" issue - however is there somewhere else you can show that say everyone is having this same issue and it is a Windows problem (not being pedantic, I genuinely am curious to learn about it). Because this issue I've seen plenty of times be faulty RAM, faulty GPU, faulty PSU and more.

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/w...-and-more-what-to-do?region-switch=1602238104

Also if people can run a benchmark on their system (with reasonable results) like 3dmark or UserBenchmark, and a 3dMark stress test, then i doubt very much they have a hardware issue.

I would always get someone to test their hardware before suggesting they pay out hard-earned cash for nothing.

Windows 10 has been a nightmare with BSOD this year and Microsoft try to fix it but either make it worse, or fix some, and break other systems.
A search on this forum for BSOD has hundreds of posts, also similar posts with all different games crashing

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also if people can run a benchmark on their system like 3dmark or UserBenchmark, then i doubt very much they have a hardware issue.
I know what you mean, yet i have to disagree. I have a huge mound of systems that pass every test under the sun and still find out eventually it is faulty hardware.

Fair enough on those updates, but by what I can see, those updates have nothing to do with the above stop errors. That and again it's the same process, there are a lot of instances where Microsoft will release an update, which then causes issues, but again it's not necessarily Microsoft that is the problem, but the manner in which third party developer modules interact with the update. Not saying that's the case in above. Microsoft really are the smallest proportion of causes of BSOD (less than 5% of all cases to be more precise).

But as you can also see that issue seemed to come around end of august and the latest patch seemed to be released less than 2 weeks later. When they do encounter an issue, they do try and resolve it, and whilst I have indeed been disappointed by Microsoft's processes more recently, a lot of proportion of blame does also go to them when actually it should be going to third party developers.

Last edited:
Reactions: wi5pa

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Yes some systems will have faulty hardware i agree, but he can run other software first such as HWmonitor/core temp to test his psu voltages and temps on the system. I try not to suggest they buy anything untill they have run some tests.

There does seem to be conflict with Microsoft and Third party developers, and its having a bad effect on the consumer.
The blame is on Microsoft as they release these broken updates, break peoples perfectly working systems (untill they were forced to update) and they are the big corporation company who should be making it easier for third party developers to solve and fix these conflicts.
Microsoft also dont help themselves when they force things on users such as Microsoft Edge who nobody wants.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor