Question Do I need a bios update?

Mar 4, 2019
I’m building a pc with the gigabyte b450m ds3h motherboard and Ryzen 5 2600
Will I need to install a bios update when I build it or not.
Also how could I know if I have the wrong bios?

I’m building a pc with the gigabyte b450m ds3h motherboard and Ryzen 5 2600
Will I need to install a bios update when I build it or not.
Also how could I know if I have the wrong bios?

You won't NEED the BIOS update to operate with a Ryzen 2000 processore but updating it to the latest will probably benefit you.

If you use the update utility built in to the Gigabyte BIOS it first checks that you have a compatible BIOS and refuses to update if it's not correct. Of course, you have to download the BIOS first and copy it to a USB stick drive.

I never suggest using Windows utilities but others have had success with it. Gigabyte's Windows utility goes online and downloads the latest compatible BIOS before initiating the update process.

Mar 4, 2019
You won't NEED the BIOS update to operate with a Ryzen 2000 processore but updating it to the latest will probably benefit you.

If you use the update utility built in to the Gigabyte BIOS it first checks that you have a compatible BIOS and refuses to update if it's not correct. Of course, you have to download the BIOS first and copy it to a USB stick drive.

I never suggest using Windows utilities but others have had success with it. Gigabyte's Windows utility goes online and downloads the latest compatible BIOS before initiating the update process.
Can I not download the latest bios on the gigabyte website where u get new drivers?
This isn’t after I boot up my pc and have windows

Can I not download the latest bios on the gigabyte website where u get new drivers?
This isn’t after I boot up my pc and have windows

Yes, of course you can. Just make sure you get the support page for your motherboard and go to the downloads section. And like i said, use the update utility built into the BIOS and it will check that you have a valid binary for your motherboard before initiating the update.

The motherboard has to be in operation, with BIOS and memory installed. OS isn't needed but I'd seriously suggest installing it anyway first. The shipping BIOS will work quite well so you can install the OS and let you get confident the system is fully functional and reliable. You don't want to initiate a BIOS update with a sketchy system as if it crashes in the middle of the process it's now a brick.

Once you're comfortable the system is stable, when booting hit delete key to enter BIOS screens and look for the QFlash utility, that's what it's called. You need to have the binary file on a USB stick...so have it downloaded, unzipped and ready.

i agree with you bro but exactly he need to have the binary file on a USB stick

Truthfully I can't be positive it HAS to be on a USB stick...but I'd be pretty confident it defaults to looking there first so I'd just make it happy.

It may enable browsing an attached hard drive I just don't know, but I'd be very surprised if it will enable the onboard NIC to look on the internet. And as someone said earlier: review the whole process in the motherboard manual once you have it.

EDIT: Actually, I just thought of a great reason it has to be a USB stick: it probably won't attempt to access NTFS formatted drives. USB sticks are usually formated FAT-16 or FAT-32 and odds are the manual instructions will specify to format the stick in one of these two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kajshsj
Mar 4, 2019
Truthfully I can't be positive it HAS to be on a USB stick...but I'd be pretty confident it defaults to looking there first so I'd just make it
happy.

It may enable browsing an attached hard drive I just don't know, but I'd be very surprised if it will enable the onboard NIC to look on the internet. And as someone said earlier: review the whole process in the motherboard manual once you have it.

EDIT: Actually, I just thought of a great reason it has to be a USB stick: it probably won't attempt to access NTFS formatted drives. USB sticks are usually formated FAT-16 or FAT-32 and odds are the manual instructions will specify to format the stick in one of these two.
Ok so I run the computer and make sure it’s all good then I boot it up again hit delete go to Qfile then plug in a usb which has the bios on that I get from the gigabyte website whilst my computer was running before I rebooted it?

TRENDING THREADS