[SOLVED] Do I need a CPU to update my bios for Ryzen 5 5600x?

jack.h.tierney

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
So my plan is to purchase a Ryzen 5 5600x as soon as they come in stock. In the meantime I wanted to buy my motherboard while I am waiting, I was going to purchase the Asrock b550 phantom gaming 4. Will I need another CPU to update the bios before putting in the 5600x? Or should it work out of the box?

Solution
From what I can see they all say "may need a bios update for 3rd generation" except for the 500$ boards which is a no no for me lol
I found this.

@okbuddy is correct, there aren't any new motherboards expected to be released alongside the 5000 series. I would opt for a B550 board that has a BIOS Flashback feature - that allows you to update the BIOS using just a USB flash drive, no CPU, GPU, or RAM required.

jack.h.tierney

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
The problem is when you buy it they don't tell you what bios it ships with. I know there are certain boards where the BIOS can be updated without a CPU but I am not sure which ones offer that ability.

From what I can see they all say "may need a bios update for 3rd generation" except for the 500$ boards which is a no no for me lol
I found this.

@okbuddy is correct, there aren't any new motherboards expected to be released alongside the 5000 series. I would opt for a B550 board that has a BIOS Flashback feature - that allows you to update the BIOS using just a USB flash drive, no CPU, GPU, or RAM required.

Solution