Do I need a DAC/Amp?

axian7921

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD579
The volume through the PC's headphone jack is pretty low.
Whereas it goes pretty loud when I use it through the headphone jack of the Logitech Speakers (z333)
Will a DAC/Amp improve the audio(will it have an improved soundstage an overall better audio quality...)? though it's pretty loud without one.
I don't like the sound through them much too feels like they added some boost to it
I like the sound when I plug into my a/v receiver (Yamaha RX V479)

I am thinking of buying the Schitt Fulla 2

Thanks

Solution
In general:
Sound quality is mainly determined mostly from the end driver a.k.a. speakers and headphones.
If you have already a good end driver, you can still push the quality further to enhance the sound quality.

For your case:
HD579 is already quite good and it should be a 50 Ohm headset.
For headset up to 32 Ohm, usually you can simply use your on-board soundcard.
In your case, yes, I would invest on an extra dedicated soundcard/DAC/Amp with enough power and quality for your HD579.
In general:
Sound quality is mainly determined mostly from the end driver a.k.a. speakers and headphones.
If you have already a good end driver, you can still push the quality further to enhance the sound quality.

For your case:
HD579 is already quite good and it should be a 50 Ohm headset.
For headset up to 32 Ohm, usually you can simply use your on-board soundcard.
In your case, yes, I would invest on an extra dedicated soundcard/DAC/Amp with enough power and quality for your HD579.

Solution

Even for 32 ohms onboard is not enought, i have Audiotechnica ATH-M50X that has 32 ohms and still the onboard (Realtek) cannot drive them at full potential, only about 50%. My motherboard has a dedicated 5.25" bay headphone amp (powered by a 6 PIN PCIE connector) that can drive them really good (at full potential), also my sound card, asus xonar u7 has a headphone amp that is decent and can drive my headphone to about 80-85% but the rog dac/amp is better.

EDIT: This is my ROG DAC/AMP and can drive headphones up to 600 ohms, it is connected by usb and powered by a 6 PIN PCIE connector.

rampage_v_ed_10-17-1920x1200.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

Yes and no,
For 32 Ohm is the normal onboard soundcard at the limit.
Not yet fully bad but at the limit.
It is in the zone where if you want it really loud and clean, it will start to give up and start to annoy. on some cases.
I had ATH-M50 too a few years ago. :)

ah, because I do not have much room left on my desk, I have to pick something that is to be put in the PC case. I am using thus ASUS Essence STX 2, without the 7.1 part.

Maybe you had a bit better onboard amplification, mine really sucks, compared to the rog dac it was at half volume, and with the rog dac at max volume will not distort anything, it is a very clear sound, i also have a high power a/v receiver from sony and if i connect them on that and increase volume at 75% volume on the sony it will start to distort, too much power for them.