Do I need a DVD drive

CryingLegend

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Im going to build a gaming pc, I dont know if I need a dvd reader, I will need it too download microsoft word 2007 but I can just copy it to a usb. I will maybe burn some of the stuff on dvds. If I should go with some kind of drive, do you think I will need a blu ray reader?
I will use a bitfenix prodigy (not Micro-atx, its a Mini-ITX) and I want to have a 120mm watercooler and a 120mm exhaust fan. If I choose to go not go with the dvd drive then I have 1 intake and 3 optional fan space. But If I choose to have a dvd then I will lose a fan mount. Its a small case so I will need alot of air coming through.
What should I do?????

Solution
I'd go with a disk drive just in-case you need it. You dont need a blue ray player and you should just get a 15$ dvd drive. You can always take it out of your case if you are not using it and want to add a fan.

ruecklm14

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
I'd go with a disk drive just in-case you need it. You dont need a blue ray player and you should just get a 15$ dvd drive. You can always take it out of your case if you are not using it and want to add a fan.

Solution
If you are not planning to watch dvd's from your rig, don't both with a player. If you think you will be burning odds and ends to dvds once in awhile, but don't want to sacrifice the space, get and external device that runs off usb.

A mini itx will cool pretty well without water if you remember to keep positive pressure in the case, however, it is difficult to find an air type cooler that will fit. If you're going to use an AIO water cooler, and and external dvd, use two 120 intakes and a single 120 exhaust as well as the water.