Question Do I need a fan hub? feat. ARGB

wiktorpsp

Honorable
Jul 28, 2018
Hey, first of all, I've read a few forum questions about this topic but I want to be absolutely sure, not to have any unpleasant surprises.
I have 3 Alpenfohn ARGB fans, and plan to buy another 3. I want to connect them all in a daisy chaining via one ARGB header. My mobo is Asus B450-E Gaming which comes with 2 headers, but the other one will have to be taken.
Those fans are really underrated and there is not so many info, but here should be everything you need judge it
https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/fans/120mm-fans/wing-boost-3-rgb-en

Once again my question - Is it going to be okay to daisy chain to one port, or do I have to buy a ARGB hub? I have already a fan hub

bioax

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Your fan header should be able to handle 3, since the input current of each fan is 0.13A. On average, a fan header can support 1A, and your motherboard should be able to support that much. 3 * .13=.39. Should be safe. However, I am not sure if you should daisy chain the rgb power connectors, since the fan uses 0.57A to power the RGB header. I am not sure how many amps an rgb header can handle, but what I have seen online, people have said that ASUS motherboards can handle 2A for the rgb header.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
RGB and ARGB are most definitely not the same thing, so please don't confuse them. ARGB is 5v, RGB is 12v.

ARGB and fans are 2 seperate things, ARGB on a fan is nothing more than a fan with an led strip attached, basically identical.

That motherboard lists 1x ARGB header and 2x RGB headers. An ARGB header is usually good for 2.5A-3.0A, so 5 would be the max limit IF using power directly from the header. However, ARGB works the same as PWM, so as long as you can supply additional power, via powered splitter or hub, then it's possible to add upto @ 70 ish lighting connections on fans or close to 1000 individual leds via strips.

Meaning you need a powered hub or splitter if you want to run 6 as you only have the single header.

Something like this would work just fine.
ASUS AURA SYNC 5V 3-pin RGB 10 Hub Splitter w/ PMMA Case, SATA Power 3pin ARGB Adapter Extension Cable for GIGABYTE MSI ASRock RGB LED Strip Lighting,Fans & Cooler- 1FT Extension Cable Included - OEM https://www.newegg.com/product/9SIACJFAG83265?m_ver=1

Last edited: