[SOLVED] Do I need a fresh install of Windows??

isaactapia44

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
Hey there!
I have a few questions and I'm trying to figure out what to do and need some help.

I have the following specs
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi
EVGA Nvidia RTX 2060
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3200mhz
240gb SanDisk SSD Plus (os drive)
1tb Blue HDD
1tb inland M.2 SSD

Now these are not my OG specs from when I first built my PC, I upgraded my Processor, MOBO, and graphics card and ram, and have used the same 240gb ssd where I installed windows.

And since upgrading my hardware I keep getting some random microstutters in everyday use as well as gaming, my CPU usage rises up to 70%-80% when opening apps and slows down very briefly(but not always, but is repeatable when opening task manager), and it's very strange to have new hardware and feel like everything is a bit slower, I mean apps don't seem to open very snappy
I use my larger storage for games and my ssd for regular apps I still have 67gb free on my OS drive.
So to get to the point, do you think that after installing all this new hardware my OS is a little confused and is not optimized for new hardware?
Also how difficult would it be to do a fresh install on my M.2 instead of SSD, and would that be beneficial to my system.

Side note: I am not completely sure what kind of M.2 SSD I have, I bought from microcenter for like 80-90 bucks so I'm not sure if it's like, nvme, pcie o whatever.

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated.

Solution
Changing the motherboard and keeping the same drive+OS, 3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Seems you've found #3.

I always do a new install with a new motherboard.
I recommend it if you don't want problems.
Installing to the M2 is as easy as installing to any other drive.
Just make sure when you do the clean install to only have the one drive connected to the PC when you do the install.
After you have done the install successfully...then power down and add the other drives.

Reactions: isaactapia44

USAFRet

Titan
Changing the motherboard and keeping the same drive+OS, 3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Seems you've found #3.

Reactions: isaactapia44
Solution