Question Do I need a graphics card upgrade for my needs

theonetain

Prominent
Oct 2, 2022
Hello,

I made an account here to (hopefully) get an answer to a simple question. First my basic system setup:

motherboard: ASRock 960GC-GS FX

CPU: AMD FX 4300 Quad core processor 3.80 ghz

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance

video: PowerColor Red Dragon RX 460 4 GB
- AXRX 460 4GBD5-DHV2/OC

hard drives:
  • boot: 120 GB SSD (Windows 10 professional)
  • data: 4 TB HDD
(I'll be adding a 2TB SSD for a couple of games that recommend it)

Now I'm content with my system for the most part. It does what I need it to do. I've been wanting to upgrade my displays (I have a two display system) from 1440x900 to 1920x1080 because of a game I bought (Ashes of the Singularity) which requires it. The question is if I upgrade to two 1920x1080 displays, can the current graphics card handle them? If not, what graphics card is recommended that my system can handle? I've tried looking at various spec pages for my current card, but none that answered my question in terms of how much of a performance hit would I take at the new resolution. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Your current graphics card may handle the higher resolutions, but it probably won't be an enjoyable experience, especially when gamming... you can always try out the new displays & see what happens... if your 460 won't do what you want it to, then yes, go get a new card, preferably one with 8GB of vram....

I would suggest a GTX1660 if possible... anything more would probably be severely bottlenecked by your outdated cpu

theonetain

Prominent
Oct 2, 2022
Thanks to those that replied so far. I bought this system about seven or eight years ago. I know I'm going to have to get a whole new system at some point... just putting it off as long as I can because of everything installed (300+ games) and having to move all of that over. I bought the Windows license directly from Microsoft so I'm allowed one full system move. Also my power supply:

PSU: ORION model: HP485D - 485 Watt

Any suggestions for which GTX1660 card?