Do I Need a Hardware Upgrade?

Feb 9, 2019
Hello,
I cannot run all the games I'd like to play such as first person shooters. I have a RX580, 24gb DDR4 ram, the B350M Bazooka board, and a Ryzen 5 1400 quad core processor.. I need help on where to go to move forward and better my experience from here.

From upgrade, what do you look for in improvment?
Fps?
Bigger resolution?
Faster loading?
Streaming/recording?

The first issue i see is ram.
what are specs of your ram?
psu-brand and model.

And by what dou you mean "I cannot run"?
That hardware is capable of running without issue at all.

Feb 9, 2019
I can't get a constant 60 fps on insurgency sandstorm on low graphics, the division, or battlefield 1.. the ram says ddr4-2400, 8Gx1, 1.20v Intel xmp 2.0 ready.the brand seems to be G.Skill Ripjaws.

Yeah but the issue is you got really good setup for being played on "low" graphics...
Just an dumb question, did you do the DDU (Display driver uninstaller guide) and then installing latest drivers?

Are you saying that you have 3x8GBs?
Can you download hwmonitor and report back with screenshot? (After you played any game for atleast 5 minutes, to see does the temps go over certain point to make your CPU/GPU go into "Safe mode")

Which HDD/SSD do you have and how old is it?

Feb 9, 2019
I have 3 ram sticks that are 8 each.. I'm sorry, this is my first PC. I'm not good with this stuff.. I dont have an SSD or anything.. I assume that's something I need to get?. I'll look into this hwmonitor thing and come back. You said my setup is good for low graphics.. what would you say I'd need to get to improve that to being a good setup for high graphics?

mgallo848

Commendable
Your system should be running much better than just low graphics.

You should not run 3 sticks of ram. It forces it into single channel mode which causes Ryzen chips to not run at their full potential. You need to remove the 1 stick that is the "odd" stick in the setup. Keep 2 sticks installed that are of the same make/speed. If all 3 sticks are the same then just remove one.

The other thing you need to do is make sure you have the memory installed in the odd or even slots. For example: Your motherboard has 4 slots for ram. Install the 2 sticks in slots 1 and 3 (or slots 2 and 4). This picture below is an old pic and yours are probably not colored but this will give you the idea of which slots are the matching pair.

1429708221526.jpg

Feb 9, 2019
Ok.. I can do that.. but I had it that way before and it improved my performance zero. I just want to be able to play things like Sandstorm, The Division 2, etc. I run 45-60 frames on that stuff currently with drops constantly. It's really unplayable. I'm working on the hwmonitor program now. Will send results.
search

mgallo848

Commendable

Your system should run those games easily. Something isn't right.

Are you sure you've connected the monitor to the GPU and not the motherboard ports? This may sound like a simple question but you'd be surprised how many times this happens.

mgallo848

Commendable
The last two things I can think of is to try and run two different benchmarks. One for the CPU and one for the GPU. For the CPU I would run cinebench. Run that and post bacc you are scores. For the GPU, I would run 3dmark firestrike. Post that score also. We need to see if either your CPU or GPU is underperforming

Feb 9, 2019
I am downloading that program right now.. will be back with It sooon.. been busy with a philosophy paper. I feel like this is either my processor or my graphics cards not reaching full potential.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Recommended slots for Ryzen is A2/B2 which from cpu-> - X - X or slots #2/#4.

Temps are not an issue for cpu or gpu.

If original bios, that could be an issue, make sure you install the latest bios from MSI. It'll have all ram and bug fixes to date.

Fps limits are from cpu, graphics limits are from gpu. So lowering graphics settings won't change much if the issue is on the cpu, if it does drastically change the fps by lowering settings then the issue is the gpu. Drivers are a common issue in gpu problems.
Goto guru3d.com and get DDU, save it to desktop. Get latest Crimson drivers, save to desktop. Disconnect from internet. Run DDU through safe mode. Reboot. Disable AV. Install new drivers. Enable AV, reconnect to internet.

If a cpu issue, you can try cleaning out your pc, use ccleaner from piriform.com in default settings, malwarebytes etc.

Games on a hdd will be a limiting factor as every new map/model has to be read and it's slow, which can cause fast paced games some fps loss.