Feb 3, 2020
Hey guys,

OufY6B.jpg

a6xTlM.jpg

I got a Dell optiplex 390 recently, going to install a simple graphics card (GT720) and some more RAM. I have noticed that the chipset (not exactly sure what this is) doesn't have a heatsink on it. I touched it after playing an old game (Stronghold 1 HD) and almost burned myself. As you can see there are holes for a heatsink. My question is is it necessary to have one? I cant find any where I live (Netherlands) and don't know which one will fit if I can order one online. On the chip there is wwritten: BDB82H61, SLJ4B if this helps.

Thanks!

Solution
I did an image search for the Optiplex 390 motherboard and saw many with no heatsink. I going to assume it comes that way so I would'nt worry about it. Amazon has generic heatsinks and thermal pads of various sizes you could probably use if you really wanted to but it looks like Dell decided it doesn't need one.
Optiplex 390 board
I did an image search for the Optiplex 390 motherboard and saw many with no heatsink. I going to assume it comes that way so I would'nt worry about it. Amazon has generic heatsinks and thermal pads of various sizes you could probably use if you really wanted to but it looks like Dell decided it doesn't need one.
Optiplex 390 board

Solution
Feb 3, 2020
It's an H61 chipset. From your images, you look like you own the SFF version of the OptiPlex. If so, then that system wasn't meant for gaming duties, but for productivity scenario's. Even if you did add a heatsink to the chipset, you lack adequate airflow across the case to cool the heatsink.
It is the DT version, so between the mini tower and SFF. I know it wasn't designed for gaming, I only want to play light old games with a GT720 though.

Feb 3, 2020
Optiplex 390 board
Okay thanks, I just find it strange that there are holes for it.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
It is the DT version, so between the mini tower and SFF. I know it wasn't designed for gaming, I only want to play light old games with a GT720 though.
You will be fine if your not running anything intense. Even if you decide to run something really intense, if dell decided it didn't need a heat-sink, I'm sure you'll be completely fine, but it doesn't hurt to stay cautious.